completing my boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Unregistered, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just aquired a 26 ft sharpie schooner. It has 2 masts , one 14 ft 8 in above the deck , the other about a foot shorter. Also came with 2 yolk style booms and one that might be the top of a gaff rig . Thats it.. No sails or hardware ( or clues for me ) This is my first contact with sailboats and it is really generating some interest with me . My problem is I cannot locate ANY information on completing what appears to be someone elses project.Is there a book or site anywhere that tells me how to determine what sails to get , or how to attach them to a mast that doesnt have a rail ?I have " the sharpie book " but it is no help here.Thanks for any guidance.......Brian

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Chapelle has several books on traditional and working sailing craft. It has many rigging details and sail plans. A gaff rig in a sharpie that size is unusual. Normally they would have self standing masts with Bermudian rigs up to 38' LOA or so.

3. Classic Boats

Classic Boats Professional Boat Builder

Chesapeake Bay area has some museums dedicated to Sharpies. They checking them out. You may see just what you are looking for.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.