1987 25 C-Hawk stringer question (water seeping out of the fiberglass)

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by crazycarl7, Jan 2, 2011.

1. crazycarl7

crazycarl7 New Member

Question in regards to my 87 c-hawk PH redo. I had to replace most of the stringers under the deck due to rot. The wood was nothing but mulch. One of the stringers on the starbord side (under the pilothouse) was comletely rotten as well. i cut out some of the floor in the pilot house to replace that stringer. The center stringer was pretty solid but a little damp. The same with the port side. It has been about 30 degrees here in Maryland for the past few weeks and now its the 50's. I went outside and looked under the pilothouse today it looked like the center and port side stringers were wet (outside of fiberglass was wet). Water was actually seeping out of the fiberglass and puddling in the center of the hull. I know that they were damp, but was suprised by this. When I hit on them they feel solid and the look solid. Has anyone ever seen this? If so how do I fix. Cutting out the entire pilot house is out of the question. I have all the new stringers ready to be installed in the stern of the boat but I want to fix this first. Can i drill holes and dry them out somehow? is there a chemical that i can put on them? should I sister new wood to them ( If i do this, it will be hard to fibergless them in)? any ideas?? Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. crazycarl7

crazycarl7 New Member

86 viewers and 0 replys? wow

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.