Suggestion for small boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by starcmr, Nov 15, 2022.

1. starcmr

starcmr Junior Member

Hi,

I was hoping y’all could save me some time. I am looking for a small boat to take my 4 and 6-year-old out on a couple of rivers and small lakes near me.

The problem is I only have about 16’ 4” from the back wall to the door in my garage.

It is a 2 car so I can angle but was hoping not to take up the entire garage.

Any suggestions for the most stable boat I can get in my small garage?

2. starcmr

starcmr Junior Member

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

3. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Are you planning on building the boat in your garage, or just storing a boat once you have bought it?

Is there an absolute requirement that one car still gets to live in the garage out of the sun and rain, regardless of what you want to build or store there?

I looked at one of your earlier threads where you mentioned building an aluminium boat - do you still want to build in ally?

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Have you considered installing a set of pulleys on the ceiling in the garage so you can simply lift the boat up and store it above the cars. We did this with my son's Kayak and I have seen people do it with small rowboats anywhere from 8 to 14 feet. Usually the area above your car is just wasted space, unless you have something large like an SUV or Pickup.

Additionally, there are lots of small aluminum and fiberglass boats that would fill your requirement for something small but stable for kids.