what caused this !! any one know ??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tunnels, Jun 9, 2012.

1. groper

groper Senior Member

rwwatson, where did you get those figures you gave? full vacuum at sea level is closer to 30inches, not 22? in metric is 101.3kpa... my little 2 stage rotary vane pump pulls to within 30micron of absolute everyday.... so whilst it may not be absolute, its pretty damn close in my backyard shed... This pic is from todays infusion of a 6m x 1.65m panel...

[​IMG]

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Vacuum is interesting and theres a million things that can be done with it, is only limited to ones imagination and to look outside the box you have over your head !! . reading is ok until you try to put some of the writers ideas into practice ,spouting figures and graphs means nothing unless you grasp the idea fully . If it takes less than .5 of a psi to do a jobs and it works so what !! scared the hell out of me first time as we had a totally unblemished record untill this happened . I was determined to find a solution and did and handed all my info to the chemist that planted the seed and pointed us where to look !! Rex Just smiled as he watched the dvd i made and all our findings .
    Never to late to learn something new!!!:p

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Thats almost the same sort of gauge we were using so back off to one little mark on the gauge and you close to what we used . !! could have used a vacuum cleaner and pulled more presure with that than waht we were using !
    Not much ah !!
    Sea level !! the tidal creek as only a few metres away from our workshop and could watch people skiing in the afternoons sometimes if the tide was in !. :p

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Try a small bubble in a syringe filled with resin and put you finger over the end and pull the plunger slowly the more you pull the bigger the bubble !!! Amazing !!
    Thats what Rex showed me and we took that as our guide as to How low we could go . :!:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.