what can you tell me about the Nimble Kodiak?

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by mr curious, Jul 20, 2008.

1. mr curious

mr curious gunkholer supreme

hi all, new here.

anything you can tell me about this Ted Brewer designed Nimble Kodiak would be much welcomed!

[​IMG]

2. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

I can tell you it looks decidedly odd, in a so-ugly-it's-cute sort of way. beyond that, not very much.

3. mr curious

as in a pit bull puppy? :D

4. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

More like my ex-wife. Except not as broad in the beam.

5. mr curious

:lol:

cheers

6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

possibly not as larfable as a 28 foot ferro cement schooner rigged tri, but nethertheless the man who drew this THING, needs a swift boot a la derriere

7. mr curious

interesting...

personally i find the Kodiak very easy on the eye, in the same way i find older tug boats easy on the eye. it's the kind of boat i would like to go on "small expedition gunk'holing trips", with some fishing for supper.

click here for some more pics.

:)

8. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Some estimated numbers for the Kodiak:

Length/Beam Ratio L/B = 2,93 (0,7*LWL +0,3* LOA)/Bmax
    Lwl/Bwl Ratio Lwl/Bwl = 3,16
    Ballast/Disp Ratio W/Disp = 0,34
    Displacement/Length Ratio D/L = 124,79
    Sail Area/Disp. Ratio SA/D = 18,11
    Sail Area/Wetted surface SA/WS = 1,9
    Power/ Disp. Ratio HP/D = 4,52 HP/ton
    Hull speed HSPD = 6,60 Kn
    Potential Maximum Speed PMS = 7,65 Kn
    Velocity Ratio VR = 1,16
    Capsize Safety Factor CSF = 2,15
    Motion Comfort Ratio MCR = 14,14
    Roll Period T = 1,76 Sec
    Roll Acceleration Acc = 0,19 G's
    Stability Index SI = 0,68
    Angle of Vanishing Stability AVS = 118 ยบ

Cheers.

9. mr curious

thanks very much Guillermo, much appreciated.

not an offshore boat, but certainly inshore.

cheers!

10. RHP

RHP Senior Member

I would suggest onshore would be the safest place for this boat.

11. mr curious

:D cheers

1 person likes this.
  12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

looks like a "downeaster" crossed with a sailboat,,hehe ;)

13. mr curious

dat's true :)

14. karlheinz

karlheinz New Member

An Owners Perspective to the Kodiak

ok, i'm biased since I do own a 1998 Kodiak. The designer BTW is Mr. Ted Brewer, renowned naval architect.

It's an odd looking boat that gets attention but odd in the sense of being very functional for it's design characteristics. It was designed for "sheltered waters, such as lakes, rivers, bays, i.e. - COASTAL - not an offshore boat by any means.

The largely flat, sharpie like hull design is not suited for offshore. This IS a trailerable motorsailer after all ! It was designed I think for two or three people max., to be able to cruise and gunkhole, and able to do that in hot or cold or dry or wet weather that keeps most boats at home. A big plus for me is that I'm able to easily singlehandle, including raising / lowering the mast. This is a boat designed for two people to cruise the inland waterways for weeks or months on end (comfortably).

Of course no two boats are the same since they were hand built to purchaser specs.
    The hull is vacumn bagged sandwich of foam and glass (the cutout I have is 1 3/4" thick). The decks are solid glass and the fittings are really first class. The sink hand pump alone (bronze) has a 280 replacement cost.

I have the B model which has a small foldout table to stbd behind the pilotseat and sea-berth to port behind the galley. The 6'4" headroom in the pilothouse is wonderful and of course with all the hatches and windows it's easy to stay warm or cool and especially dry. Theres AC for fans and DC for fans and lights, a marine toilet with holding tank, a SS sink with handpump, a small ac/dc reefer which I'll replace next year with a heavily insulated ice box and an electric or alcohol stove. It easily sleeps three without having to move cushions or fold up tables, etc.

I have to admit to being a long time fan of pilothouses. Two late fall trips down the intracoastal New York to Florida, one with pilothouse and the other without.
    Without was largely miserable, cold, wet, miserable. With was warm and dry, wearing a sweater mostly - waving at the folks in other boats dressed in their warmest pullovers and dressed to the eyeball. I got a few one finger waves back - lol. Plus, where better to have a small diesel or propane stove for extra heat when needed.
    Downside - it's noisy as hell in the pilothouse under power - need a lot better engine space sound baffling.

I have the shoal keel model (2' 10" draft) with 1300# of lead encapsulated into the keel that really stiffens the boat. That and the hull shape gives a very large degree of initial stability and then when undersail and heeled the hard chime digs in like your on a rail.
    I love being to walk the side decks (i'm 280#) and have the boat heel maybe 5-10 degrees max.

I have a diesel engine, 18 hp with a 3 blade prop so my speed is probably lower than some outboard engined boats but i dislike having gasoline on board for safety reasons. Despite the high cost of fuel cruising is economical, using something like 1 quart per hour running about 2200 rpms. I did a 240 mile trip last summer combo of motorsailing, sailing alone or motoring alone - I believe I used 4 gals all together for the entire trip. With my 19 gal tank I have easily 360 +/- range before needing to refuel.
    Thats pretty impressive for a trailerable boat.

Downside: It's a double ended sharpie hull which means it slams into short choppy waves. The only real way to resolve or reduce the pounding is to steer a quarter to waves course which seems to help reduce pounding a lot. I'd really hesitate taking or getting stuck out in the open in anything over 6 foot waves.

Sailrig - I have a yawl rig and that little sail back aft really helps in a number of ways and opens up the sail handling possibilities. I frequently sail Jib and Jigger (Jib and Yawl sails out) in strong winds at 5-6 kts SOG easily and comfortably - then i'll raise or reef the main to suit. I have all sail controls aft and the only reason to go forward is to set or raise the anchor (which can also be done from the v-berth forward hatch is one is less rotund than the hatch size (LOL).

What all this means to me is I have a trailerable boat under 30 feet that I can singlehand and is capable of taking me long distances in comfort and roomy for self and supplies. I can go anchor in places few other sailboats are able. I like the classic workboat like design that shouts functional to me. Thats why i hold on to mine.

They seem to hold their value well and few are on the market at any given time. They were expensive to buy upfront and it's not uncommon to have a 10-15 year old boat in the $32,000-39,000 range (including trailer).

Karl-Heinz

15. alan white

alan white Senior Member

It's a good concept with typical comprimises. It's hard to maintain the high house and still look well and sail well, but any designer who can come close has done his homework.
    I've been struggling with a dory at the same length, trying to make livable arrangements. It's not easy. You can have a short (fore and aft) pilot house that's high enough, but extend it to include galley, for example, and suddenly you lose some seaworthiness and aesthetics.
    I've decided to do the one finger wave and sail in the open, or at least under a dodger. The reasoning is I'd like to make limited offshore passages.
    The hull itself is suited, just so long as I stick to 4 ft 6 in headroom.
    I've devised a center cockpit that allows a nice big open canvas "cabin" when in port.
    I do appreciate the enclosed pilot house however. For inshore sailing or motoring rivers, etc., especially off-season, it has its place.

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.