What can cause diesel to be overloaded intermittently?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Northeaster, Sep 15, 2018.

1. BlueBell

BlueBell Ahhhhh...

You've changed so many things it could be anything!
    Or, worse yet, a combination of things.
    I think you need some on-sight help.
    Someone who knows what's going on and is a good troubleshooter.
    I don't envy you.
    Good luck with the painting.

2. Northeaster

Northeaster Senior Member

Bluebell - did you watch the video on the last page? What is it that strikes you as alarming or requiring such concern? I appreciate the replies but I do think that we're blowing this a bit out of proportion. We know that my diesel is overloaded by having too much weight So for the next few outings, I will not push the throttle too much. As I am almost done adding weight to the boat it is now really a matter of working with my propeller guy to remove possibly one or two inches of pitch or whatever is required to be able to achieve maximum RPMs under load, once the end weight is known.
    The purpose for me starting this post was to see if I had missed possible causes of intermittent overloading. But, as my fuel system was new with little use, air filter good, prop and bottom clean etc I think that it seems a matter of being overpropped enough that any added weight or adverse wind and seas reduce my rpms and therefore available hp, thus causing lower achievable speed. If I reduce pitch to the point where I can hit 2800rpms,with people on board and towing a dinghy, I think my overloading issues will be gone. Stupid of me to add pitch last time but we make mistakes sometimes.

3. BlueBell

BlueBell Ahhhhh...

Yes, I watched the video.

What makes you think I am alarmed or overly concerned?

So, it runs fine for half an hour and then overloads.
    Weird.
    Strange, odd, even ridiculous, but if your not concerned, then don't worry about it.

I guess to respond more correctly to your post: I have no idea why.
    Maybe just focus on your painting.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.