what are sailboard's daggerboard and skeg called?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I just picked up a free Hobie sailboard with busted rear "skeg".

I'm just seeing 'fins' which seem to be the rear skeg, but I'm not seeing any 'dagger boards' for sale, except from Germany on Ebay, so I'm not sure if that is a translation problem.

A local Windsurfer dealer wasn't very confident in finding a replacement, and I guess they aren't a "universal fit" part.

What is my best hope for finding a (cheap) new or used skeg for this older plastic Hobie "Alpha 160F" board?

2. johneck

johneck Senior Member

Keep looking on ebay, it's pretty old so it will be hard to find. Daggerboard or centerboard are probably the right terms. You could try making one if you are handy.

That board is very small and does not have much bouyancy, you need to be small or experienced, or preferably both, to sail it.

Good luck!

3. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'm neither small or exp., so maybe this will be a board to trade to someone with a beginner board looking.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

They're called appendages . . . and easy to make, if you can't find any.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===================
    I like PAR's idea but if you really want a replacement part you might try contacting Tinho Dornellas here: http://calema.com/ He runs a windsurfing school and shop and has been in the business a long time-he might be able to help.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.