1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

Woody Brown, Alfred Kumalae 1954 Beach Catamaran

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by windfullsails, May 21, 2012.

1. windfullsails

windfullsails New Member

Historical Makani Kai, one of the original Waikiki Beach Catamarans searching for a good home. Built in 1954 by Woody Brown and Alfred Kumalae. This classic boat of Waikiki history belongs in a museum yet is in great sailing condition. She is in good shape with newly built laminated wood bow and stern beams and beautifully curved tiller bars. The hulls are in good condition with recent exterior paint. The sails are beautiful and and rigging in good condition as well. There is a real nice like new trampoline on the bow with a strong removable ladder for easy access. Most importantly she sails like a dream...such a pleasure to sail such a treasure! For those of you who would like to learn more about Makani Kai and how she was created you can look up the article "The Modern Double Hawaiian Canoe" in the Journal of The Polynesian Society, Volume 68, 1959. There is an amazing 5 minute video found on Youtube about her sister ship Manu Kai, just type in the key words Woody Browns Manu Kai to easily find the video. Looking for someone who can maintain this lovely lady of Hawaiian history the way she should be. Makani Kai currently resides in Reeds Bay on the East side of the Big Island of Hawaii. I'm always interested in learning more about her history as well so please call and talk story any time. 808-936-4704 Mahalo

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  2. Mrtropic

Mrtropic New Member

Did you ever find a "new home for Makani Kai" ?

Mike

3. Mrtropic

Mrtropic New Member

4. Mrtropic

Mrtropic New Member

Aloha Milinda,

It was really nice to talk with you and learn about Makani Kai and the "Smoke" as we called her. Brought back, allot of memories of my days as a charter captain in Lahaina and sailing the Islands. Wonderful days and good times to be sure.
    I very much appreciate any info on design drawings for the old Woody's beach cats.
    I also have another Idea, if you or someone you know could shoot detailed photos of the structural interior of the hulls, rudders, cross beams etc. I would be willing to pay you. Please give this some thought and let me know a resonable cost, would not need a professional photoghrapher, maybe you could do it when you have some free time. Please let me know and I could western union the dollars.

Hope your feeling better, Mahalo, Mike

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.