Whaleback, a sharpie/sailing canoe

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by skyl4rk, Sep 3, 2006.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

[​IMG]

I have no word on a splashing or it's abilities underway.
    Can someone resize this image for me?

2. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Apparently, size matters.

Ummm. . . . OK, Paul.

Did we loose computer privileges again? :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  3. PAR

Yea, I've been intentionally bad in hopes of a good spanking . . .

I wonder how accurate that waterline is . . .

4. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Yes, it appears a little odd as to the water line, but looks good, industrial, I like the ports. Reading the build, it seems the cabin is not water tight due to hatches, in the great lakes I'd want it tight due to that chilly water, I don't have a dry suit.

But I wonder if it has gotten wet????

5. PAR

His last post on the Cruising forum was back in April, so maybe it's been launched, found to be wanting and is back in the shop for "up grades" .

6. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I think that Matt Leyton's theory on the use of lifting bodies in sailing craft is an interesting use of the concept. I would think though, that the chine runners aren't very efficient as they have extremely low A/R. I wonder about local flow allignment, too.

I think that the bottom paint is not representative of the waterline. I believe there is a construction joint at that location for upper and lower side panels. The upper panel being attached inside of the lower panel.

7. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

LP, that makes sence as to the paint job, it's a copper mix of some kind....

Matt L. had success with his runners on Paradox and reported that it worked well. It might be difficult to obtain the same results with the width and angle of the runners being duplicated just right. On such a small boat, isn't it harder to measure such results or realize the significance?

8. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Wave,

Who's to say, except though advanced hydrodynamics or lots of trial and error.

I am intrigued by the cruising style that is represented in Paradox and Matt's other craft. Here is a link to one of his craft that has seen extensive cruising.

http://www.microcruising.com/lc1.htm

9. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

I have been toying with trying to build the Pardox as I have been on Matt's site for a couple years....just haven't been in one place long enough to consider anything. As everyone knows, I'm wanting something much bigger for the loop, but ya know, maybe a little bigger Paradox, longer cabin (more like Matt has) so more fuel could be carried might make a mico-motorsailor.

Actually, at about 18 feet, I think I could make that work for the Loop, after all, if Paradox can make 5 trips along the east coast to the Bahamas, it has been tested, but it's these old bones I'm thinking of....

Ya think it would plane on those runners if they were a couple (+) inches wider? I'd name it "Wavewacker"!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.