Whale wars

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Japan issues its own " permits" to scientifically study whales. Its unethical.

Of course many countries behave unethically towards their commitments. Think of the American tuna fleet bypassing American laws in international waters, then selling the tuna in American supermarkets.. The Canadians, The Spanish.. The Italians.....are also guilty.

It unfortunate. Consumer demand is hard on precious resources

Is it unethical that you eat meat ? Yes, if that meat is Rhino, Gorrilla, Tiger or whatever species the world is trying to protect.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Is it unethical to whack bald eagles with whirling blades that marginally produce electricity in order to not burn the fat of already long dead prehistoric monsters?

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I dare say yes.

4. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

As you claim the Japanese are whaling illegally, and in fact they are not, *and* you continue to claim this, you are either living in a fantasy world, refusing to accept reality, or you know reality and are lying. You choose because the *fact* is, the Japanese are *NOT* whaling illegally.

You spell redound with a D. It's not my problem that you don't recognise the word and can't be bothered using Google or a dictionary to check it. Try it, then read what I wrote in context.

I don't in fact hate Aussie fishermen or any other fishermen. I do recognise sharp practice when I see it and it's pretty ironic (you can look that one up too) that in my experience Aussie fishermen do things that aren't technically illegal but certainly violate the stated intention of the law, but that's OK with you. When the Japanese do the same sort of things, that's not OK with you. Perhaps you should look at your blinkers.

As I have stated many times already, I do not in fact support whaling by the Japanese. I sincerely wish that they would stop. Their sham scientific research is exactly that - a sham. I personally know most of the Aussie scientists involved in this area so I can state this with confidence. However, it is legal and permitted by the IWS so claiming that it is illegal is wrong; it's sharp practice and IMO ethically unacceptable, but it is not illegal. My pointing out your error cannot be construed as support for whaling so kindly stop attempting to attribute to me opinions I do not in fact have. If you do it again I am going to give you negative rep points for deliberate lying.

I note that you refuse to address the point concerning the Ady Gil deliberately violating the ColRegs and attempting to disable a vessel in international waters, thereby risking both the vessel and the lives of the crew. Is this because such behaviour is acceptable to you? Better consider that 'redound' word again...... Greenpeace or someone might decide to put a group together to disable all those Aussie tuna fishermen because they think that's the only way to stop them driving tuna to extinction. By your logic, you couldn't possibly complain, now could you?

Paul Watson is a dangerous nutcase and his vessels should be banned from Australian ports. I am in fact impressed by the Japanese restraint in dealing with him.

Brendan, I've got a fair amount of respect for you based on other postings you've made but on this topic, I'm afraid that we are never going to agree. You support people attempting to disable ships and risk lives in a very harsh part of the world because you think the cause is just. I consider that very dangerous thinking and I will not accept it being put into action. I have explained why.

PDW

5. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Aren't you contradicting yourself? Did you say the ends don't justify the means for protecting whales from extinction, but protecting your vessel and crew, the ends do justify the means??? Even preemptively endangering others when you are not in immediate danger? Is it ok for you to be
    when your own vessel is in potential danger? Is that the only case?

I agree with Maritime New Zealand - both were at fault.

6. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

there are good points to both sides of the argument so i guess we will not agree but everyone is allowed to have an opinion on the subject. so i will agree to disagree.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The Japanese are whaling in a whale sanctuary.

What part of sanctuary is misunderstood.

8. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Is that why they are bald.

9. Herman

Herman Senior Member

The thing that strikes me is that PW and friends fail to see that there are huge political and cultural differences between people all over the world. With the Japanese differing much from Europeans and Americans (the areas where global wildlife preservation is somewhat high on the priority list or at least on the awareness list).

You will only be able to advance this matter by political pressure, which should be performed in a well prepared and executed manner, which will take quite some time (possible decades) The economical centre of gravity shifting to Asia is no help in that respect.

On the other hand, PW visualises things, which promotes the public opinion, which raises the matter on the priority list. So he might be right after all...

One more thing: Watching PW operate in the Antarctic seas, it strikes me that seemingly 75% of the time is waisted by solving his own mishaps. He is endangering the life of his own crew just as much as the crew of the Japanese ships, just by tugging along...

10. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

I am 1000% against any whaling

I don't accept Japanese 'scientific' research of whales when the same whale meat is retailed.

Most Japanese don't eat whale meat.

Paul Watson is a prima donna looking for a stage, making money with zero effort.

Paul Watson should have to appear before a professional board and have his license revoked.

I 100% condem SS for taking a GRP joke boat into the Southern Oceans and shame on the idiots that crewed the joke boat and their unprofessional behaviour as a crew.

Attached Files:

11. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Was it designed for ramming or ice fields? No. Earthrace was no "joke" though. "It broke the world record for circumnavigating the globe in a motorized boat. It set the record in 60 days 23 hours and 49 minutes. This beat the record of 74 days, 20 hours, 58 minutes set by the Cable and Wireless Adventurer, then the Ocean 7 Adventurer, in 1998, by 13 days 21 hours and 9 minutes. It is unclear if the circumnavigation was faster than the disputed time set by the US Navy's USS Triton nuclear-powered submarine during Operation Sandblast. The time established by Earthrace did not supersede the overall record set by the multihulled sailing yacht Groupama 3 of 48 days, 7 hours 44 minutes and 52 seconds, or the latest 2012 record set by Banque Populaire V."

12. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

I know Craig Loomes and Andre Moltschaniskyj personally and have worked with both on several projects and I'm very aware of both the AG acheivements and Craig's green philosophy behind the design concept.

When SS take such a GRP winged demihull boat into the Southern Oceans to confront hardened steel hull whale chaser ships then it becomes a joke boat.

1 person likes this.

13. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.