Wet weather clothes

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Jan 5, 2012.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

It really does depend on your conditions. What are the temperatures you are looking to sail in?

For near freezing or sub freezing temperatures and rain/sleet/ice, I just wear my waterproof, breathable snowboarding gear and Sorels. They are a bit less money than pricey "yachting" jackets and every bit as good. They also serve a dual purpose being good for around town winter wear and for snowboarding. The hood is wonderful since it is also waterproof.

Layers are very important.

If you are standing in water (like in the dinghy), use water proof rubber boots and inserts... pictures last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Since good foul weather gear is so dam expensive, I find it much easier and far cheaper to hoist the mainsail , energize the outlpilot , then sail at full speed to areas of endless summer.

Swimming trunks and flip flops are cheap ,versitile and much more civilized.

Remeber a good pair of sunglasses. I prefer the CLICS brand.

http://www.clicgoggles.com/index.html#

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

thanks for the input guys

two interestings points were
    no cotton - now we know why
    the boot liners - that is good and often overlooked

in my country the "commercial" oilskins are strong and CHEAP (many colours) and for somebody like myself that will wear it 2 or 3 times a year - it's ok

why I asked the question, it is very easy to spoil a holiday if you are wet and cold, 5 minutes of cold and wet, can put you out of action for 5 hours and the day is ruined.
    I was just worried that I am being too much of a cheap skate ;)

Attached Files:

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Sure, that gear will work. Plastic gear doesn't like to be folded and chafed, but it certainly will last a few seasons.

A proper sailing jacket is worth the money. Even on nice days you wear it to knock spray and incoming flying fish salvos down, tender runs, and to escape evening wind chill.

the boots. will do the trick..Ive got a green pair of stompers. Hardly ever use them on the boat but they are mighty handy for stomping up a muddy creek clamming .

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I wear Grundens gear. They lasted me for a long time working on trawlers and other commercial applications. The price is lower than the fancy stuff.

6. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Anything goes.. HH mostly due it's all over here, fishermans, outdoor workers etc..
    But eventually the real question is where to dry your gear (without turning the cabin soaking wet) or doesn't it dry at all.. Instead of a wet locker I've planned to make a separate "wet companion way", a draught lobby for wet weather.

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

A lot of heat and a lot of ventilation is the way to dry wet gear. When I was at RHIOT school in Bamfield we had an entire room dedicated to the task and it worked. A plus was not only did you start out with dry gear, it was warm, dry gear.

Again, no cotton.

-Tom

8. liki

liki Senior Member

Sports fishing with small open boats, up to 6m, I use a survival suit or a classic pvc bib coupled with a goretex wading jacket or a classic rain jacket. Often also a sou'wester.

9. Submarine Tom

Liki,

A survival suit or a cruiser suit?

-Tom

10. liki

liki Senior Member

11. Submarine Tom

Roger, got-ya. Somewhere in between.

Although, Manie is looking at affordable so I'm thinking this is likely out of the question.

Thanks for clarifying though.

-Tom

12. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Wool is warm even when wet. It's the traditional wet cold weather clothing. Pick up some lanolin and mist spray your woolens time to time to shed water. Lanolin is the sheeps wool oil removed by washing. Your skin is waterproof, leaks out moisture but not in. A nylon windbreaker will keep damp woolens from evaporative cooling you.

I carry all cotton Khakis for warm weather and wools for cold. Khaki is best in mosquito areas. Look at the color of your veins thru your skin, and you'll understand why blue is a bad color.

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

another one of my dozens of "to do" experimental list
    what I have in mind is a doulble overlapping canvas flap system that is under tension with "bungee cord" - this fits outside the hatch like a tight curtain
    sorry for my explaination - but it's like a "******" that you crawl thru
    it fits kinda around you on the way in and out
    I know this explaination is putting egg on my face once again, but if anybody can describe it better please post.
    anyway this system could be better than nothing, to keep a small boat reasonably dry is difficult

sailing around our cape can be very misserable very soon if adequite provision was not made

So guys as you can see my nerves are shot. This intial "get wet" launch is around the corner and I am having sleepless nights, something too terrible.
    Half the time my imagination is running away from me, maybe my foresight is over the top, but life has taught me to go with the tried and tested. I am definately too old to start experimenting with too many crazy ideas.

Thanks for the input always appreciated

14. Submarine Tom

Well that shut everybody up. I'll leave all the smart-assed ****** jokes behind and get straight to the point.

Sounds like it would do the job. Just be sure you secure that companionway for sea-keeping reasons. The tendency is going to be to rely on your weather proof passage-way instead of your sea proof hatch/door. If your weather is that bad, simply secure the hatch and be safe. If that doesn't make sense let me know and I'll try and clarify.

-Tom

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

So if you hang a hammock behind the curtains will you call it an after-berth?