Wet Transom

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, May 28, 2015.

1. grady

grady Novice

Hi all, its been awhile since I've posted. Guess things have been going pretty well.

Long, long story short. I have known that my trim tab attachment screws have been a source of water intrusion for a very long time, I have tried over the years to stop or slow down the process by moving the screws and injecting the old holes with epoxy etc etc etc......

well finally tore into it last weekend, Ill post some pics later but now my question is this (please keep in mind that I'm pretty well settled on my fix)
    Will any remaining wet wood left in the transom dry out if the large portion of the cancer is cut out and left open for a while.
    This is my smaller part time boat that the kids use so no impact on my boating season....1986 Grady White 24 Offshore with an I/O. Transom is constructed of a glass/wood/glass/wood/glass sandwich
    the wood is 3/4" marine ply but not sure if its the greenwood ply??????
    The wood was wet to the touch but not dripping, also no rot or foul smell. The wood seemed to have its textile strength and would hold screws.
    I am not in the mood to do a whole/complete transom job and frankly don't think its needed.

Any thoughts??? I have cut out a large area surrounding the tabs....so an area about 30" long X 10" high sloping to about 3" where the transom meets the hull sides.....I planed to leave it open for a while and just bought a good moisture meter to chart progress if any.

Anyway thanks for reading

Hit me with your thoughts and opinions

P.S. This boat has undergone an extensive rebuild on this forum and I know it inside and out. Not going in blind

TonyG.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Nope, the plywood isn't going to dry out anytime soon. Technically, it will, but it'll be months, not days, unless you place it under vacuum.