Wet Exhaust Conversion

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Jim Thom, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Jim Thom

Jim Thom New Member

I have a keel cooler and a dry exhaust. I want to change over to a wet exhaust because of the noise. I've got everything sorted except suppling water to the lift muffler. Do you have any solutions? My boat is 11m monohull with an Isuzu 33HP diesel.
    Thank you, Jim

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum Jim.

There are many advantages in having a keel cooler - I am wondering if it would be possible to put a noise reduction muffler on your dry exhaust?

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A wet exhaust is not going to make it quieter unless there is a properly designed muffler added to it too. A well designed muffler will make it quiet if it stays a dry exhaust too. Mufflers should ideally be tuned to the engine and installation type.

bajansailor likes this.

4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

You’ll need to add a raw water pump, either sourced from your engines manufacturer to bolt on, or a belt driven accessory pump.
    Hopefully there’s an existing raw water supply source that can be used, or you’ll need to fit a thru hull fitting with a seacock.
    The raw water cooled exhaust must be carefully designed, so as not to allow any water to backflow into the engine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.