Tuna tower doubts

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by S17665, Jan 19, 2016.

1. S17665

S17665 Designer

Hi Guys , I have a doubt about the position of the steel ladder to climb to the Tuna Tower on a Fish Boat. Why the location of the ladder is lateral and not central ?
    Could anyone give me pdf about the drawing of Tuna Tower?
    Thank you so much for the support

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Tuna towers are usually aluminum to keep the weight down. Tuna towers are often designed for the particular boat. The trend is to have a unique customized tower.

3. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

what do you mean "lateral"?

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Hi Satan,
    there are no rules about the position of the ladder. It will depend on the layout of the deck and the flybridge.

However, in general a central ladder requires a hole at the center of the flybridge (if it goes through the flybridge), which can be inconvenient and increases a danger of inadvertently putting one's foot in it. This layout also makes getting on and off the ladders from the flybridge more difficult, because there are no handles around to hold on to.

A lateral ladder allows you to keep your hands on the flybridge guard rail during stepping on/off the ladder. And in general it leaves more free and usable space both on the main deck and on the flybridge (again, depending on the specific layout of your boat).

My two cents worth.

Cheers

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Oh, now I realize that you are talking about the tuna tower and not the flybridge.

Well, the reasons are nearly the same, and plus the lateral ladders can be a structural part of the tuna tower, which saves the weight.

Cheers

6. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'm guessing he wants to know about the motion of being up high on a tuna platform at the stern VS more midships.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Doubt it, lateral means side, the side of the tower.

8. S17665

S17665 Designer

Thank you so much for reply , for the word lateral i meant the side location.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.