which college

Discussion in 'Education' started by lsutiger848, Apr 3, 2007.

1. lsutiger848

lsutiger848 Junior Member

Hi I am in hs and was looking to go into NA but not sure what colleges offer it or which ones are good? I know UNO offers it and I don't live to far from it. So I am cosidering that. I want to be a NA for mega yatchs and I hear that UNO is more commercial is this true? Please tell me your comments on UNO. Also Has any one played sports at one of these NA colleges. If I can I would like to play soccer for college. So if anyone has any thing to say about a certian college that offers NA I would like to here it. What did you think of it while your where there? Thanks

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Senior Member

Mega Yachts are ships and the best way to become a Naval Architect dealing with them would be to go to a school that teaches ship design like UNO. Pretty much everything is the same between commercial ship design and large yacht design. The issues a NA deals with such as structure, powering, stability, and even many of the systems will be the same. Composite construction would be about the only difference, though many yachts are also made from steel and aluminum.

I recommend contacting Trinity Yachts. They build large yachts in the New Orleans area and I would pretty much guarantee they have at least a couple of UNO grads working for them. http://www.trinityyachts.com/

Naval Architecture is engineering. If you are interested in styling, exterior design, or interior design that is somebody else's job. Not that an NA can't learn to do that stuff, but Naval Architecture schools don't teach it. It is more often done by people with educations in Art, Architecture, or Industrial Design. There are some schools that teach specifically yacht styling in Europe and so does the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale. http://www.artinstitutes.edu/fortlauderdale/

Good luck.

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Senior Member

I just went and looked at the UNO program and I see that they offer an elective course in composites and one in small craft design. So you would definitely learn what you would require to get into yacht design there. If Naval Architecture and engineering is what you want to do, I'm sure it would be a good choice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.