West Microlight 410 Data

Discussion in 'Materials' started by turnershells, Nov 22, 2002.

1. turnershells

turnershells Junior Member

I've been experimenting with airex foam core hulls, and I'm using MGS 285 epoxy thickened with West Microlight thickener.

So far I've found about 3% by weight is good for filling the surface, but what I'd like to find is some technical data ie. percentage microlight/density figures or increase in volume. Couldn't find anything in the West book. Is there anything people know of on the web?

Matt Turner

2. glasbotomboat

glasbotomboat Junior Member

As a former chemist formulating fillers, puttys and high-build high solids formulas, I'll tell you these main points:
    You can deviate as much as you need in percentage (3% by weight microspheres is about as much as I used to use in typical fillerswhich equals about 40% in volume if I remember correctly) based on the the performance you want according to the following tradeoffs:
    With much filler and less resin, you get:
    - higher viscosity for troweling / buildup ability
    - better sanding ability
    - less shrinkage (not much anyway with epoxy)
    But the downfalls are:
    - weaker cohesive and adhesive bond (breaks easier and won't stick as well) although not significant.

Much resin with less filler you get:
    - stronger, harder fill
    - thinner with a tendency to run and drip
    - sanding is a @#$%*!! (technical term)
    - heavier, added weight
    - waste of expensive epoxy
    I'd say to load it as much as possible as long as it doesn't cake up, and then skim coat over with a more resinous mix after sanding. - JB

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.