Polyurethane for rails

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by flydog, Jan 29, 2007.

1. flydog

flydog Junior Member

What does anybody think about using polyurethane glue ie Liquid Nails as bedding compound for the rails above the waterline? I have some Silkaflex, but it is white and the rails are mahogany. I'm afraid that if I use the white stuff, it will show on the brightwork. Liquid Nails is brown or clear.

thanks,

flydog

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Liquid Nails are for land based carpenters, too lazy to drive in a few nails to hold something. There is no place on a boat that Liquid Nails belongs.

Carefully tape off the area you don't want the "white" goo smeared all over, both the rail and the hull topsides. Apply the goo in a healthy bead and start the fasteners, until you see goo coming out of ever place. Tighten until you have about a 1/16" of gap between the topsides and the rail still showing. Smear the goo into a nice line around the rail then peal the tape off against itself (a real hard angle), so it doesn't lift the goo. Let this set up for at least two days, then dog down the fasteners good. Perfect seams and a gasket like bedding job. For a real nice job, counter sink each fastener hole before you place the rail and place a little goo around the counter sink. This will help prevent mosture form getting into places you don't want it, though no one will see it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.