Wellcraft Diesel Conversion

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by studlybilly, Sep 12, 2007.

1. studlybilly

studlybilly New Member

Hello and sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I can't really seem to find any technical boat forums to ask my question.

I have acquired a 1985 26' Wellcraft Aft Cabin, which currently has a mercruiser 350 in it. I have 2 Cummins 4bt (4 cyl, 3.9L) diesels lying around, and I'm hoping I can convert one of them in the Mercs place. We will be fueling the engine to 250hp @ 2500 RPMs. I just have a couple questions.

1. My sterndrive is a Merc Bravo I (IIRC) with a 1.47:1 ratio, given the diesel wont be turning the rpms that the V8 does, I'm thinking this will turn the boat into a slug. Does anyone know what alternatives there are to this? Optimum would obviously be more of an overdrive ratio of .5-.8:1 to keep the prop speed up.

2. The Merc engine weight as I seen through specs online, is 1200lbs, the 4bt fully oiled up etc. is 800lbs. So there should be no concerns with the hull holding up?

2. skiffish

skiffish Junior Member

4bt

I am not sure of options for spinning prop faster with that drive other than using a larger prop or diff pitch for some more push.

I would be interested if you are selling the extra 4bt. I would be putting it into a direct drive and i know the options to gear up or down are good in that aplication.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.