location of auxiliary

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by dreamer, Jan 18, 2010.

1. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

Hello Folks,

I have a question about the location of the auxiliary on this boat. I would like to move it more forward (to the stringer just forward of where it sits now), but I'm curious about any issues having the prop closer to CG will cause. I'm not 100% committed to saildrive, so I could go with a conventional shaft arrangment but I do like the compactness of the saildrive.

Thoughts?

t.i.a.

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you move the engine/drive forward it will be fully under the dog house, which may make removal an installation more difficult. Other wise, it doesn't appear to be a significant issue.

3. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

Thanks Par

The doghouse has a removeable roof section so there shouldn't be too much concern for removal/installation.

Attached Files:

4. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

but surely if you move the engine/saildrive forward nearer the CG it will have an impact on i.e. moment of inertias, trim?
    will it be really that insignificant for a - as it looks like - 38-40' vessel when you move the engine by 0.5 meter (just a wild guess now from what i see on the images)?
    especially for smaller vessels the engine is a relatively heavy piece of equipment... and i always thought that the impact would not be that insignifcant... :confused:

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'd be surprised if the CG move more then an inch . . .

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It's a boat with rather full ends and the weight of the engine is a small percentage of the total displacement. I don't think it would be much of a problem. Relocating an anchor can more than compensate for it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.