New Guy into cars and boats

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Meech, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Meech

Meech Guest

I always wanted to build a boat, my dad used to own a boat with twelve cylinder Liberty Motor in it when I was a kid. He's long gone and so is the boat. All I remember is the thing was fast~!

I have been building cars most of my life, (Im 55 now); and I would like to get into some vacuum bagging projects, both for automotive and naval applications.

I eventually want to build a small boat/kayak. Does anyone know where I can get plans for either of those?

Also, where can I get an affordable vacuum generator?

Thanks
    Meech

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Check under boat plans catalog--under human powered.
    http://www.glen-l.com/
    this is just 1 of many but very reliable and been around over 50 years.
    Great people.

3. Meech

Meech Guest

Thanks what a great site!!!!!

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

For low-tech you can use a shop-vac.

5. Meech

Meech Guest

Thanks Hoyt, I suppose in a pinch, but what would happen to the residual?:?: :?:

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Put a reservoir inline between hose and bag to catch it. Ideally you won't have much unless you measure wrong.

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

For best results, find someone in your area with a dedicated vacuum system and make

arrangements to use it or have them do the final step as there is no such thing as an "affordable" one.

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.