welding zinc divers delight

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by glasssurfer, Dec 17, 2009.

1. glasssurfer

glasssurfer Junior Member

looking to weld on some studs onto my hull so i can mount my zinc on a "divers delight" style but im going to have to beach my hull grind and clean the section to weld the post onto but then i ned to put a product on to protect the bare steel, correct?

should i use coal tar epoxy or ????
    g

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

For zincs to work, they have to be in contact with the bare metal. You should be able to use the same primer/antifouling as on the rest of the hull, except for where the anode will actually mount. That part must be left bare.

3. glasssurfer

glasssurfer Junior Member

thanks, im guessing the hull is painted with coal tar epoxy already so on the ground spot after the zinc is welded more coal tar epoxy should be painted on to cover up, will it bond properly with the already painted rest of the hull?

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Here is how a ships zinc is mounted and this will last more than 5 years and is generally reusable for the life of the ship. If not, it is easy to knock off, grind flush and place another.

Use a capacitive discharge (CP) SS (308 perfrered) stud of the proper length. Shoot straight through the existing paint, and touch up with matching paint up over the stud weld flange but leave the stud threads bare. Mount the zinc, fill the stud hole void with zinc paste, cover the paste with a close fitting plain steel fender washer and a SS nyloc nut.

2 people like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.