Considering Bruce Roberts/Almarine Steel Kit... Opinions?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Cabin Boy, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Cabin Boy

Cabin Boy New Member

I'm considering purchasing the Voyager 495/Bermuda 485 steel kit from Bruce Roberts/Almarine. I was wondering if anyone had any experience at all with that specific kit, or any of the BR steel sailboat kits. I'm looking for any information and experiences regarding the kits.

I have experience in boat-building, although not much. My father used to build custom boats for a living (Although they were large sport fishing boats, not sails) and he and I completed a 24ft powerboat a few years back. I have lots of experience in framing, carpentry, electrical and various finish work. I do not have experience with steel, but I have at least 4 friends who are professional welders/metal workers who will be available to aid in the contruction process. I am definitely ready to begin building another boat, so I would like information on your experiences dealing with these kit-suppliers were, how the build process went, and how satisfied you are with the completed boat.

Also, I noticed that there is a "www.bruceroberts.au" and a "www.bruceroberts.com" that sell the same plans/kits (Although one calls the model "Voyager" and one "Bermuda"--But it is the same boat). One site claims the other is illegally selling plans. It makes one a little uneasy about the purchase. Also, there is Almarine.com which sells the same exact plans. This is a bit confusing to me to, so feedback on this issue would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

William

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

3. Cabin Boy

Cabin Boy New Member

Thanks for the lead. I found some info there, but not really what I'm looking for. I'll keep searching though.

Thanks again,

William

4. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Steel kits Bwermuda/Voyager

There are many Bruce Roberts designs on the market also with many satisfied owners. If you are in doubt, contact the people from Almarine and discuss your problem. That there are illegal sets on the market is not surprising, anybody who has the designs can make the cuttingfiles and start marketing....
    I wonder why you just do not buy the designs and the cutting-design floppy. I am sure you may find somebody with a plasma cutter in Florida and maybe you will find a shipyard with a plasma cutter to cut the sheets for you.
    There are also other well known do-it your-self architects who are willing to sell you a good design. For example Messrs Van de Stadt from Holland are excellent designers with many very successful designs in their name. I have been on a Voyager with an aft cabin, a very spacy boat indeed. here in holland there are also steel boat suppliers that can offer you a nice deal on a Bruce Roberts Design or one from some other designer. If you require further assistance, put your queries here, lots of talented people around, so it seems...

5. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Almarin Boatdesigns

Cabin Boy,

By sheer coincidence, I came across a design of Almarine, presented as theirs but it is definately a design that belongs to the drawingrable of Bruce Roberts.
    It concerns the Bermuda 555 and 485 - those two are definately Bruce Roberts.

This matter has been established now.

6. Pavel

Pavel Guest

Before I started my aluminium 45f project (not-BR), I was also looking at Roberts in steel... if you are not experienced, I would suggest to buy study plans from some other designers as well and decide if Roberts is exactly what you want.
    If you think that Roberts is what you want at any cost, buy only the files and get it cut locally, you would safe a lot of money (dont get confused that its all primed and whatever else steel they gave you, you can get the same from anywhere else). In any case, think second time if you want steel of aluminium (as I did).

7. BRUCEROBERTS

BRUCEROBERTS Junior Member

Boat Kits And Cutting Files

Hi, We now find that most areas have cutting shops that can cut boats from our cutting files ... this will be less expensive than buying the kit from us ... so I recommend you start with the cutting files and get some prices locally ... regards BRUCE ROBERTS

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.