sparkman & stephens crusader class

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Nautical H, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Nautical H

Nautical H New Member

Hi all,

New to the forum suppose this is the right tread.

I'm from the netherlands and planning om restoring a sparkman & stephens crusader class. it is a steel hull, but basicly nothing more.
    Here are some pictures.
    just curious what you guys think about it.

Greetings robin

Attached Files:

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Information about Crusader Class: http://sparkmanstephens.blogspot.com/2011/01/design-1329-crusader-class.html

The Sparkman & Stephens plans are now at Mystic Seaport. Copies of the plans for your boat may be available. https://research.mysticseaport.org/plans/?post_type=mystic_collections

Sparkman & Stephens Collection (Ships Plans Coll. 41)
    The plans begin with Sparkman & Stephens design #1, dated 1929, and continue in chronological order. This firm is still in business and active in the design of new vessels. The Plans are now housed at the Collections Research Center at Mystic Seaport. Please email S&SPlans@mysticseaport.org

3. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

Very nice round hull construction. Good luck with your project.
    Cheers,
    Mark

4. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

Nice project. You are certainly in the right place for it! When I was working on my hull it seemed that every thing unusual that I looked for was available in the Netherlands (flat oval tube for example) but almost impossible in Ireland.

The condition looks good inside although you can't see the bilge in the photo. Will you blast and recoat?
    The deck looks open, is this because there was a wooden deck or has the metal been stripped? What are your plans there?
    One of the built in tanks has been cut out, if it was mine I'd remove the other too.
    Nick

5. DIV

DIV New Member

Jim Elk of Elk Spars www.elkspar.com on Mount Desert Island, Maine has a Crusader that is in approximately the same stage of disassembly and restoration as yours. I'm sure he'd reply to any query.

There is a chapter about the Crusader as a live aboard/long range cruiser in the book "Living Aboard' Living Aboard: The Cruising Sailboat As a Home https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/living-aboard-the-cruising-sailboat-as-a-home_jan-moeller_bill-moeller/435414/?mkwid=sX2e1aPQO%7cdc&pcrid=70112897472&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk_-HgYfY1QIVEYezCh0nGQMtEAQYBSABEgJn8fD_BwE#isbn=0877420793&idiq=403317

Our neighbor had a Crusader for years and it was a roomy, fast boat for the type. I worked for Rod Stephens of S&S and he approved of the design for its purpose. If I had one I'd add a doghouse opening to belowdecks similar to the kind found on some of the Alden or Sam Crocker raised-deck designs. It would allow for protection from the weather (perhaps a helm forward of the cockpit) and more light below.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.