Runs in "high build epoxy"

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by jmac, Mar 13, 2007.

1. jmac

jmac Junior Member

Not sure where to post this.

I put on my first coat of High Build epoxy primer on a aluminum hull and have
    a couple spots with orange peel. Should I sand it out now or wait until after the next 2 coats go on?

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

jmac, get em out early, so thinners can escape from the thick ness, some times you can "shave" runs off with single edge razor held at roughly 90 degrees to suface & scrape, peel is often typical in high build primer depending on equipment used, I am by no means a full on spray painter but have done a goodly amount, beware of pissing the paint up with a fast thinners though in a cold climate, as on a metal substrate especially you can reach a dew point situation through solvent evaporation & epoxy dont like water till its cured, all the best with it & regards from Jeff.

3. alaskatrawler

alaskatrawler Previous Member

I would go ahead a apply the next couple of coats and then sand. Don't worry about a couple of runs in the high build primer just do your build up then when done with your build then sand. Remember with epoxy primer you have a recoat window for high build. Awlgrip and Sterling reccommend 8 hours before having to sand between coats.

Dan

4. jmac

jmac Junior Member

It was not much so we sanded lightly and applied another coat. Sterling says recoat time max 24 hours before sanding is needed. We are in a cold climate inside a heated building so our room temp was around 70df and the boat metal was between 63 and 70d f.
    I dont see much literature on what the relative humidity should be when painting.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.