Welded aluminum canoe design

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Jack D Davis, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Jack D Davis

Jack D Davis Junior Member

With advice from an experienced designer, builder, I've designed a 15.5' canoe for welded aluminum sheet. Plans are to start building ASAP, but probably not until Winter. I'm unsure of the material thickness. I've tried .080 and found I can weld it, but .100 may be slightly easier to weld. .125 probably would be a little too heavy although I haven't calculated the weights of different thickness materials. Details are not worked out yet. It is wider than most canoes of this size for stability. Intended uses would be for calm water camping, fishing (standing, flycasting). Not designed for white water. Plans are to make it unsinkable although I don't show that detail here. Plans and 3D images were drawn with TurboCAD. Suggestions are welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.