Weirdest propulsion system

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by gonzo, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

your
    :p

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Every so often Leo . . . but not as a rule.

3. Leo Lazauskas

I couldn't resist :)

But to matters more serious...
    What legal sanctions is a naval architect subject to?
    I assume it varies a little from country to country, but given the international nature of the profession and the products and services, is there a general set of principles and guidelines that can be viewed online?
    (Or would it be better to ask in another forum?)

Chears and regrads,
    Loe.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  4. PAR

It's different in every country, but most can and will charge those seemingly responsible for an avoidable tragedy. An example would be a design that clearly upon investigation after an incident, shows a lack of acceptable stability or capacity.

Leo, I'm sure you're aware of the builder of Excalibur was found guilty culpable manslaughter. This is evidence enough I think. Now each case is specific and this one suggests there's more to the story we don't know, but integrity was a main issue I believe.

He later won an appeal with the appellate court declaring (rightly so) that he was unaware of the faulty work. The judge was actually reasonable saying ". . . This case would appear to be a case of manslaughter by omission . . ."

In short, with this case the actual person(s) responsible, hid the crime and people died. It's unlikely they'll ever have the truth, but an indication of what can happen to a builder or designer and possibly why I'm in such a tizzy in another thread (spelling errors and all).

5. Leo Lazauskas

So, essentially, no different to the sanctions that many engineers are subject to?

6. PAR

7. mark775

mark775 Guest

Perhaps this would be a good time to dismount. "Congratulations", the site says, "You get to buy our coffee mugs and T-shirts (add a $59 initiation fee)!" Nice to know there's now an IQ club for everyman.

IHIQS.jpg

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

There is no such problem Mark. He understands us pretty well, and the "club members"* at least, understood his 178 attempts to introduce new laws of nature.

Regards
    a member
    *151 according to Hamburg-Wechsler-Intelligenztestreihe
    160 to Stanford

9. mark775

mark775 Guest

Yes, indeed!

10. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

LOL,
    Another way to measure our penises. If you send them the money to join, how many points does it remove from your score? I think Groucho Marx put it best.

11. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Where does the libaility shift when that boat is fully classed..here in Asia you can get them to stamp anything and they do!

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I would like to see examples of weird propulsion systems in this thread

1 person likes this.
  13. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

ok
    Early surface drive.
    A fuel barge that was used in Phuket 20 years ago had a long slot cut into the aft centre of the barge.
    There was a v8 nissan truck engine with radiator complete with clutch and trans mounted on an angle.
    At the u joint at the back of the trans a ladder frame was built hingeing either side of the ujoint.
    This frame had a thrust bearing right there and the long shaft say 10 foot down to the prop in a conventional skeg bearing and about a 24" dia prop.
    The ladder had an 'A' frame gantry mounted over it to lower this down into the water.
    I guess it worked

14. yipster

yipster designer

[​IMG][​IMG]
    whats weird? the side drive i had on my barge long ago? engine in bow shaft in crane, prop on the side, i say weird but time goes on as i read this
    http://images.google.nl/imgres?imgu...pulsion+ship&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N&start=20&um=1 and learn there are over 900 types of reactors, but promise to make only one nuc post
    rickover made a weird propulsion system in his days aqueous homogeneous reactor and some waterboiler can even called green i read soemwheres

o yeah, how about the morph warpdrive eh..
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I remember in a 1950's Popular Mechanics a log barge with a Jeep connected by a chain on the wheel to a shaft. They went down the Congo river with it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.