I/O vs Outboard in Saltwater???

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by 440Charger, Jun 26, 2006.

1. 440Charger

440Charger New Member

Hey,
    I am looking to buy a new boat and have some questions on what I should buy. I am kind of new to boat mechanics, so I hope I can get some help from this forum. I live in Tampa FL and have been looking at Cuddy Cabin type cruisers. It is salt water were I currently go boating. My previous boat was an inboard Yamaha jet boat and did not fair well over the past 5 years. I have found some nice used (1-5 years old) Sea Rays, Larsons, Maxims, Charparral and a few others that have really caught my attention, but my friend keeps telling me that I/O drives do not hold up in the salt water at all and if I do not get an outboard, I will be facing constant mechanical problems. Is this true? Is there a good I/O unit I can go with that will hold up in the salt water? Any help is appreciated.

2. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

My experience has been that outboards these days are very reliable, and the maintennance and repair is easier and less expensive than IO. I have seen IO units around here that have lasted 6 or 7 years with only annual oil changes. They blow up after that. I suppose if someone was gentler than my boss on the IO units, and took better care of them (IE regular cleaning, inspection etc...) they would last a dozzen or so years. All motors need tune-ups and oil changes and cleaning and winterizing. It's just easier to do on outboards.

3. mr300s

mr300s Junior Member

I agree with JFD outboards are just easier. I have had them all, and I feel by far the better choice would be the outboard espically in Florida where I am at. And of course now days with the new four stroke outboards all the way up to 300HP you can't go wrong. They are much quieter, cruise around at low speeds, better on fuel mileage. Do yourself a favor and locate a boat with one or two outboards and go for it, a much better choice, but then thats my personal opinion. Hope this little bit of input helps you out

Bill :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.