weight calculation

Discussion in 'Stability' started by mizkuzi, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mizkuzi

mizkuzi Junior Member

hello everyone, can anybody tell me what is this formula l/Ø? its unit is in meters. Also h/e? Also i would like to know what does this means ''poids'' which ive google translate it from french to english and it meant ''weight'' but the label from the data shows like this:

Poids m2 Poids S Total Poids Total
    (kg/m2)
    (why is the unit like this?) (kg) m2 kg

I already dont understand some of these terms since most of its datas are in french and google translate cannot always give the right translation to it. Please help. thanks!

I can also upload the whole data if u dont understand my question hehehe.... TY!!!

2. RAraujo

RAraujo Senior Member - Naval Architect

You should explain yourself better...

Poids effectivelly means weight in French and poids/m2 is the weight per square metter (thus the kg/m2).

Better upload the data...

Rodrigo

3. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

I suppose it means weight in kilogram/ square meter And the S I think is for wetted surface are. So I suppose this means the weight in kilograms / Square meter for the wetted surface. The other is for a total weight in kilograms / Square meter.

Good luck!

4. mizkuzi

mizkuzi Junior Member

weight calculation attachment

To whom it may concern,

I have here attached only a part of the weight calculation that was sent to me. Datas are in french but its ok i can translate it on google translate myself. My concern is something about the LCG, TCG , VCG values. This is for a luxury power catamaran.

I've been scanning my notes for formulas but still cant get the exact answers as shown in the datas.:( I may need now the experts to help me understand it.:confused:

Hope somebody can help me. Thanks a lot in a advance.:)

Attached Files:

5. RAraujo

RAraujo Senior Member - Naval Architect

The LCG, VCG and TCG values shown are for each part/item on that particular calculation. You must fill with the values for your specific case/design - there are no formulas for that.

The other columns relate to the dimensions of each part/item and how the weight of each part is calculated from there:

- "Ame Pelle de Safran" has dimensions of 0.8mx0.4mx0.06m, giving a total volume of 0.0192m3 which, multiplied by density of 350kg/m3, gives a weight of 6.72kg; considering that you have 2 pieces the total weight is 13.44kg.

- "Meche" (rudder stock) has a length of 1.2m, an outside diametre of 0.05m and a wall thickness of 0.025 (meaning it is solid); the volume obtained for this cylinder multiplied by the density of 7400kg/m3 gives a weight of 17.427kg and, considering that you have 2 pieces, the total weight is 34.85kg.

Maybe you can check the formulas in the spreadsheet and investigate by yourself for each case. It should not be so difficult...

Rodrigo

6. mizkuzi

mizkuzi Junior Member

cool thanks so much for the help, that's actually what im doing.. the file sent to me was just a pdf file so now i am doing my own spreadsheet in excel format to understand how he got those values. I have figured out some part of the spreadsheet already but most of it i still dont get it. Anyways, you're a great help. Thanks again architect. I might ask more if theres another part i dont get..lol.

regards,
    joyce

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.