Weekender pontoon cabin

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ezrollin, Nov 29, 2011.

1. ezrollin

ezrollin Junior Member

Here's a mockup of project;sat frame on deck for final layout adjustments.It has an 8 ft forward deck,12 ft cabin and 4 ft 8 inch rear deck,cabin frame weighs about 250 lbs,next step marine vinyl and acp panels.

Attached Files:

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

That is going to be a pleasant boat on a calm day. On a windy day it is going to be subject to signifigant lateral forces from all that flat panel area. It will also need more power application than previously used. Alas! That is the way of boats. You always have to trade one thing for the other.

Keep us posted.

3. ezrollin

ezrollin Junior Member

Yes, I agree that wind will be a factor but no more so than with small house boats and other factory versions with canvas or composite cabin boats.This boat is almost a duplicate of my brother in law's boat which we fished from overnight in varying degrees of weather.I don't fish from any boat on windy days,just don't find it pleasnt.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

My comments were not intended to be negative ones. Your project will almost surely enhance the pleasure of using the boat.

5. ezrollin

ezrollin Junior Member

I didn't take them as being negative and apologize if it sounded that way.Not everyone would want to do this to their pontoon boat but spending comfortable nights on the water opened up a whole new way of interacting with nature that I found quite pleasurable.There may be others that would want to do something similar so I thought I would share.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.