Marinizin small turbo diesel

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by mholguin, May 9, 2006.

1. mholguin

mholguin Junior Member

Question for you gurus outthere:

When marinizing a small turbo diesel (Daihatsu, Peugeot), is the heat exchanger a replacement for the radiator?

We have a Tartan 30C, vintage 1977, and the cost of a new engine is way too high for us at the moment, and we've searched all over the place in the US (via Internet) for a used diesel, but it seems that the used engine market is close to non-existant there.

Any place I could get a small (15-20 HP) engine instead?

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Yes the heat exchanger replaces the radiator. And you need a second pump and thru hull to keep the heat exchanger working.

You havent searched in the right place for used diesels .
    Get thee to the local dealer in refrigerated truck and trailer bodies.(reefers)
    He will have many small 15 to 20 Hp Kubotas or Yanmars as running takeouts for under a grand.($300 or so)

If you need new www.allenmachineco.com has Yanmar 3tnf47c-edn 1.6 liter 23hp cont 28 max for $1900.
    A chinese bellhousing and mechanical tranny are an extra $250.

If your really broke and just need harbor power a good new 5.5 hp Honda engine with 6-1 reduction is $495.

Sure its gas , but so was the Atomic 4 for 50 years with no hassle.
    You should get 4 or 5K in still water , after that , Sail Da Boat MON!
    FAST FRED

3. mholguin

mholguin Junior Member

Fast:

Thanks for the reply. I was browsing in Allen Machine but couldn't find the Yanmar (neither in the Internet). Should I call them to check on it?

The Genset is a true, dependable option, but here in the DR they are hard to find (being seeked as Generators). Any place in the US I can find them used?

Thanks again, I'm dying to get back to sailing!!

4. StianM

StianM Senior Member

It's posible to runn without the extra pump if you use scoop cooling, but this only work at certain speed's.

The actual problem with marinizing as I see it is that smal car diesels don't have watercooled exhaust manifoils so you have to make some shields to protect them from leaking diesel pipes.

I think finding a used diesel should not be a problem, but you have to be patiend and just look at ebay and anny other place.

5. moTthediesel

moTthediesel Junior Member

The actual problem with marinizing as I see it is that smal car diesels don't have watercooled exhaust manifoils so you have to make some shields to protect them from leaking diesel pipes.

Depending on how the exhaust manifold is cast, you can usually cool it by wrapping it in copper tubing and running the raw water from the H.E. through it. To make it really cool, insulate the coil with fiberglass and then lag over that with copper sheet.
    moT

6. bazza

bazza Junior Member

surplus center has some small new diesels at good prices.

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

From the DR its all downwind to the US.

Parts hunting is a personal sport!

FAST FRED

8. mholguin

mholguin Junior Member

Either I didn't understand or something else... DR is downwind from the US... Maybe I got it wrong?

How about this engine:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2006051610095621&item=28-1604&catname=engines

Looks like it could be fitted, BUT (and remember I know very little -if anything- about engines) I'm concerned about joining it with the transmission...

9. mholguin

mholguin Junior Member

Back on topic:

I found a small Yanmar engine, 2 cylinders, previosuly used on a genset. Perfectly running condition, but it was radiator cooled.

Radiator is not an option, so let's go to the heat exchanger option. The boat has a thru hull for water intake. I think we must install a small tank for coolant in a closed loop to the engine, and passing hot water coming out of the engine thru the heat exchanger.

Guessing part now: the heat exchanger takes water from outside (via the thru hull) and outputs it to the exhaust, right?

Questions section:

a) What type/size of heat exchanger should I look for?
    b) Any literature you can share (or point me to) about heat exchanger cooling?
    c) Good online supplier of heat exchangers?

Thanks again!!

10. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

I would think you should be concerned about waterflow first, then figure out what size HE could accomodate that flow rate.

Here's a rule of thumb from a trusted source..

Jabsco's Global formula for determining flow requirement-

"For diesel engines with heat exchanger use 18gpm / 100hp. If exhaust manifold is cooled (it is) add 10-15%."

I don't think you can have too much raw water flow, because the t-stat will regulate how much engine water circulates through the HE.

Lenco coolers are on the web, every shape and style, and have pretty good deals ( I think )

Love to see you pull this off, mechanically safe and sound...

Mike

11. mholguin

mholguin Junior Member

The engine I've found is a used Thermo King engine, TK 235 (built by Yanmar as the 2t72). Should be around 12-14 HP, which is more than adequate.

Will get a Lenco Heat exchanger.

Now If I could figure out how to fix the transmission housing (transmission is a Volvo Penta MS2B) to the engine body, with that HUGE flywheel sitting in the middle...

If anybody's willing to help, I can post pictures of the engine

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.