Weed eater engine conversion

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Ward, Jun 2, 2003.

1. buttales

buttales Junior Member

yeah, I've heard of it.... something like phase separation put the water in shake it up and decant the water and alcohol out and ad back toluene. how I do mine is buy fresh gas every time I run it, then dump the gas out and start it up till it runs out. I don't use fuel stabilizer and just put the dumped fuel in my car gas tank

2. moyak

moyak New Member

Am new on this very interesting forum,and I come already with a question,you see I have just found you...........Am in the process of building a weed wacker mud motor out of a (30 to 40cc) straight shaft I would likr to know how to put the prop on the shaft that is already spliced ??? Any advices or pics are appreciated.
    I have seen Ercich videos on youtube and the only thing I could'nt understand was about the T10 prop from young's...........Hey Erich I also ran a Marshrat and found that little hunting boat a sweet........

Thanks in helping me
    (Sorry for my English,am from Québec)

3. Erich_870

Erich_870 Junior Member

Moyak,

Can you post some photos with your question?

Glad you like the Marsh rat!

Erich

4. moyak

moyak New Member

Tomorow I'll post some pics ,I'll shopping for one 30 cc and over ,maybe you can tell wich to look for?????

Thanks in answering!

5. wildwatson

wildwatson Junior Member

i'm working on the same problem.it seems just about all the straight shaft weedeaters have the same angeled head.the edger attachment has a curved shaft to put the head at 90degree.the echo might be a 90.not sure.the short shaft which has the bearings in the right place can be had for around 22.00 ryobi edger attachment parts.i'm building a small boat for a child and going with the octura or prather surface props.

6. wildwatson

wildwatson Junior Member

7. wildwatson

wildwatson Junior Member

8. Erich_870

Erich_870 Junior Member

They are cheap, but they need a huge hub...

Erich

9. wildwatson

wildwatson Junior Member

10. Erich_870

Erich_870 Junior Member

I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. Look at how large the shaft hole is on that prop. They are designed to be spun by a much larger engine, so they use larger shafts.

My Ryobi uses a 1/4" shaft. That prop needs a tapered shaft with a key that is probably 5/8" dia, if not larger.

EDIT:

It looks like they do make a prop that is useful for these kinds of builds. AWESOME! http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROPELLER-4...ar&vxp=mtr&hash=item19db4c1179#ht_1213wt_1124

Erich

11. wildwatson

wildwatson Junior Member

i've been digging for a week trying to figure out how to get around the weird angle on the head.just go with a coupling nut,come out the other side with a reduced stud.some of the guys are threading the prop.in the rc world they use a drive dog where you grind a flat spot on the shaft and tighten the allen screw.to get the weed eater head to a 90 degree you will need to get a edger tube which has the bearings in the right spot for the bend.they are about 20 bucks from sears.for a prop just go with the octura 270 or 280.with the direct drive anything bigger will smoke the clutch. http://www.funrcboats.com/prop_chart1.htm

12. wildwatson

wildwatson Junior Member

i think it would be cheaper to run twin ryobi (60cc)instead of rigging a pocket bike motor(100cc w/elec start)i can pick up a walmart ryobi for 15 bucks at a yard sale.i think putting a coupling nut and extending the prop shaft away from the gear drive would let you keep the gear head out of the water and have less drag.

13. Erich_870

Erich_870 Junior Member

I wish I could find weed whackers that cheap up here!

How far past the gear head are you thinking of extending it? If you get too long it's going to get really unstable.

You might as well not use the gear head and just build a long tail unless your prop of choice has to rotate opposite the motor.

Erich

14. wildwatson

wildwatson Junior Member

15. wildwatson

wildwatson Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.