Weed eater engine conversion

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Ward, Jun 2, 2003.

1. spede18

spede18 Junior Member

Anyone used the flex shaft that is on a stock weedy with any success? I have plans to build one of these motors and plan to fully post full buildup photos but was wondering is it possible to use the flex shaft and stock weedy shaft rather then full rebuild with 1" and bearings?

2. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

I read this whole thread. I was very VERY bored :p

Somewhere in here were reports of using a flex shaft usually ends up with a broken shaft.

3. Mark Wo

Mark Wo Senior Member

Hey WalleyeRanger and RMenasco?

What motor did you guys use, where did you get it and how much did it cost? Would you buy from the vendor again?

Curious as I would like to order parts for one of mine or just order a new motor.

Thanks -

Mark

4. WalleyeRanger

WalleyeRanger Junior Member

Mark,

My motor is the one from Monster Scooter Parts.

If you know what you need / want and don't have any assembly / compatibility questions, they are a fine vendor. Shipping was quick and their order management process was reasonable. The order status was communicated well and they sent me a tracking number once it was shipped. My engine is the 49/52cc with the electric starter attached.

I did have to adjust the idle screw on my engine - it was backed out so far from the factory that it wouldn't even start. Now that it's adjusted the engine is running well.

I think the engine is $119 alone or $139 with the electric starter (you'd still need other parts to complete the electric start if you went this way - a start button and relay will both be necessary, in addition to a battery).

If you need technical questions answered, they are almost worthless.

Good luck! (and what did you break?)

James

5. rmenasco

rmenasco Junior Member

I got my motor off of ebay. It is the same motor that is used in the mini bikes. If you have any questions about my build give me a call.

6. spede18

spede18 Junior Member

Can I use the stock weedy shaft instead of buying a new one?
    I noticed it looks like a few people have worked this out?

7. rmenasco

rmenasco Junior Member

You can try it but it will eventually snap!. Those shafts can not take the torque of the propeller in the water.The stainless steel shaft is only around 25 dollars shipped from www.onlinemetalstore.com

Try the weed wacker shaft and lemme know what happens.

8. spede18

spede18 Junior Member

Well for $25 to stop it from snapping I think I'd rather spend the $25. I like the oil filler fitting you put on your motor. What kind of speeds are you getting with that motor?

9. rmenasco

rmenasco Junior Member

Runners

I have not gotten a good test with it yet. First of all I was in a small pond and I couldn't get up to full speed. The second thing is that I couldn't turn good in the small pond because I didn't have any runners on the bottom of my flat bottom boat. I have installed the runners and I will be fiberglassing them today, and I will try to test it this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. spede18

spede18 Junior Member

Nice well look forward to seeing some updates.

11. bahamas

bahamas New Member

hey guys if any1 has any plans i want to make one out of a weed wacker. I'm planning on building a boat ot of plastic bottles.

12. Mark Wo

Mark Wo Senior Member

Nope

- nothing in this 7 year old thread with almost 1000 posts all on how to make a weed eater mud motor. Nope, nothing at all. Better find another site.

Jeez -

Mark

1 person likes this.
  13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

This was a hoot to read.:p :p

14. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Bahamas...If you mean it does not tell you where to buy all the parts that will fit together perfectly to make a mud motor that is 100% efficient then you are right . But if you are and inventive engineer who given an idea can make it work then the information and photographs are more than useful.
    Like so many people today you want it all done for you and only complain about what it costs.

Mark Wo ...you almost had me then

15. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Junior Member

Hi folks, I've been reading this forum for several years now and decided to stop in and show my weedeater conversion motor. Contrary to many experts on here, I built mine using a Ryobi 26cc from Home Depot $98, and they sell replacement powerheads for $79. Some say 32cc is minimum size that will work. Well my 26cc has been pushing my canoe around for 2 yrs. now, and runs just fine. I simply removed the upper shaft-half (quick-connect type) and installed the lower curved shaft into the power head (you'll have to notch the tube to allow it to fully seat) and then re-tightened the the collar. I welded up a transom mount, and a weed-guard for the nylon 3 1/2" prop. The prop was a $5 close-out item from a local boat shop selling off it's out-dated trolling motor accessories. I have no idea what it originally mounted to, and neither did the shop, so that's why I got it for $5. I also welded a nipple to the original muffler, capped the old outlet on top, and routed the exhaust down the shaft so it exits underwater, to quiet it down a bit. I used copper 1/2" tubing so it will never rust out. Keep your prop size to less then 3 1/2" and the 26cc motor works fine. I utilized the original throttle handle on my tiller-arm, and mounted the D-ring handle 180 degrees from the original position to make a handy tote-handle. The local rednecks where I fish, couldn't believe I made it out of a weed-eater. I weigh near 300 lbs and and one of them said, "you don't think THAT little motor is going to push your big butt around on this lake, do you???" I just laughed and and said--watch this, and throttled off into the distance. They actually cheered for me the first time they saw me hook it to my canoe and launch it for it's maiden voyage. When I came back a half hour later with a nice string of fish, they all wanted to know how much I'd charge to convert their weed-eaters too! And yes, it has plenty of thrust, you won't pull any skiers but it's certainly adequate for buzzing around on the lake to get to your favorite fishing holes.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.