Weed eater engine conversion

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Ward, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Erich_870

Erich_870 Junior Member

I see what your asking now. I had the same problem as you. I wanted a longer tiller handle, but I also needed the motor to lay flat on the boat when I started it.

Here is a photo of how it looked on my second test run:
    [​IMG]

I built a quick disconnect so I could tilt it down and start it, then reconnect it. It proved too long and cumbersome.

I've since then shortened the tiller handle and sit in the boat so it steers just like a normal out board.

Here's a pic of the new length. Just so you know, in this photo I'm not sitting like I normally do, I was looking at the engine when this pic was taken. I sit facing forward with my left hand on the tiller.
    [​IMG]

You're going to need to find a way to allow you to tip your motor to start it, then lower the tiller handle when you are underway.

Also, it looks like your current handle is attached to your air filter/carb? I hope you don't try to run it that way, your going to rip it off your engine!!! Your carb is held on by a plastic spacer on the side of the engine. [​IMG]

Putting twisting forces on it will rip it off in no time!

Erich

2. Erich_870

Erich_870 Junior Member

Seriously, what's the point of comments like this?! :confused:

Erich

3. reynolddog

reynolddog Junior Member

[​IMG]
    The way it's set up I have a metal L bracket bolted on to the one of the top screws which secures the front and back plastics together.From there two more bolts are put on the other side of the bracket into a PVC pipe. No clue if this will work, but I plan to eventually pony up and purchase the tiller handle set up it seems everyone is using.

4. reynolddog

reynolddog Junior Member

A few others questions.

How efficient are these engines? Should I bring some premix with me if I expect to be out for a few hours? Also, others says that you should keep the throttle at about 2/3 or so as any more usually results in cavitation- is this true?

5. Erich_870

Erich_870 Junior Member

I don't have an answer for either of those questions. Keeping the throttle at 2/3 rds would probably be smart as wide open tends to get these little motors really hot.

I used about half a tank on my last test run, but I don't know exactly how long I ran it.

Erich

6. rmenasco

rmenasco Junior Member

Erich_870 Question

Erich_870,

Is there any reason you didn't go with a straight shaft? Like a mud motor?

7. Erich_870

Erich_870 Junior Member

I wanted to make it as small as possible so it would fit in my boat if I want to take it off while I'm hunting. Also, I think it will give me slightly more power to use the gear head to keep the propeller parallel to the water's surface.

Erich

8. Mark Wo

Mark Wo Senior Member

Why do you need to change the motor angle when starting?

I guess if you don't have a clutch, you will need to get the motor out of the water to start. If you put a clutch on the motor, you never have to worry about where the motor is to start it nor do you ever have to worry about the motor swinging around and hitting you when it is out of the water.

If you are not using a clutch, I stongly would suggested to mount it in a way so that the natural state of the motor is to be lying in the water, not out of the water.

Mark

9. Erich_870

Erich_870 Junior Member

This photo illustrates how the motor sits when I start it. I place my left hand on top of the engine and hold it down and pull the rope. [​IMG]

I wish I could have kept the clutch, and I can still reinstall it (I'd need to buy a second clutch drum) but I would need to work on the prop first to reduce the thrust causing the clutch to slip in the the first place.

Erich

10. reynolddog

reynolddog Junior Member

Hey erich could you give me some more info on that mount system of yours? Do you steer rotationaly (left-right) or do you tilt it on an axis?

11. Erich_870

Erich_870 Junior Member

Here's a better photo. It has a pin that sticks out the bottom of the "U" shaped bracket that turns in a reciver in my wooden "transom". Since the shaft isn't perfectly vertical, the motor has some sweep to it when turned, but it's not a big deal.
    [​IMG]

Erich

12. reynolddog

reynolddog Junior Member

Did you fabricate that black piece, or did you purchase it at a store?

13. Erich_870

Erich_870 Junior Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I bought it from Southwestspeed.com. It's a 1" bar clamp used for adding weight to race cars.

Erich

14. reynolddog

reynolddog Junior Member

Oh, gotcha. On the side, are those Allen bolts screwed into the clamp?

15. Erich_870

Erich_870 Junior Member

Correct, it has 1/2" threads on both sides. The clamp is held together with two allen bolts (comes with the clamp)

Erich

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.