Weed eater engine conversion

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Ward, Jun 2, 2003.

1. pgtcobra

pgtcobra Junior Member

Hi Hoytedow

Your model is interesting too, but is there a way to modify the exhaust so that it produces less noisy?

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Earplugs.

3. pgtcobra

pgtcobra Junior Member

Earplugs ahah :p

Have you tried sending the exhaust into the water?

4. hoytedow

My aim is to keep only the canoe in the water and everything else, including the exhaust, out of the water.:/

5. Lastflight

Lastflight New Member

I first want to say what a great thread this is!! You guys built some amazing motors and inspired me to want to try a build.

I am looking for a small longtail for my marsh skiff (kara hummer) and the 52cc motors look like they would be just about right.
    My question for you Mark is how do you like the Rickshaw? I have not been able to find a descent review of one and it sounds like you have one now and I know you had the Duropower unit on your boat previously.

Also, has anyone else been able to find a new source (in the US) for the bigger brush cutters? I have done quite a bit of searching and unless you want to buy 500 units from China, you are out of luck.

Again, great thread guys. Keep it going!!

6. Mark Wo

Mark Wo Senior Member

Easy to find motors

I am sorry to say that I have not had the Rickshaw out for a personal assessment. It has to be tomorrow or this weekend as hunting starts the following weekend. What I can tell you is that the motor is night and day compared to the duropower unit. Motor starts on first or second easy pull everytime, very smooth vibration wise, quieter than the duropower (not by much but it is quieter), throttle is nice, the adjustable handle is a godsend, big prop is a great new addition, etc...

Go to Scooterparts.com or google any scooter parts place and you will find many 52cc motors. They will be listed as 49cc motors (for legal reasons on allowable motor sizes before regulations kick in) You can typically pick up one of these motors for around $129 or so. Some come with the 5:1 reducer and some come with the electric start option.

I also believe that you can still buy the 52cc Duropower motor for $99. with all these motors I would caution you to be wary when it comes time to find parts. My duropwer unit is not running well and to find exact replacement parts (duropower is NO help) has proven a big challenge.

Mark Wo

7. Lastflight

Lastflight New Member

Good info. I look forward to hearing how the first run with the rickshaw goes!

I am aware of the scooter motors and have done quite a bit of research on finding a good deal on those. It looks like monsterscooterparts.com has the best price and avaialbe parts. If I build a scratch built it will be a dirct-drive as I don't have nearly enough knowledge to start messing with gear reductions.

I was hoping to find a finished brush cutter (at a descent price) to do a simple converstion. This seams unlikely with duropower out of the picture.

I am curious about the rickshaw and it's performance. I don't want to drop $800 if I can build something as good for around $300.

8. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

LIGHTFAST get a 6.5 HP Lifan /honda and stop messing about with these tiny motors ...do you go shooting duck with a pellet gun ???

9. Mark Wo

Mark Wo Senior Member

Would love the power but...

hate the weight. The way I hunt with this boat motor combo weight is everything. I spent a bunch or time and money to get a lightweight hunting boat (Hoefgen Duck Boat weight 58lbs and can carry a boatload), lightweight decoys, and a lightweight motor, lightweight blind etc...) While the Rickshaw or Duropowe doesn't have the umph to power through mud, I don't need it to. My duropower motor weights in at 15 lbs (little less) and the Rickshaw close to 20. That is a far cry from the 60+ pounds most of these 6.5 hp motors weight. With the distance, and hills I need to cart my hunting gear in, an extro 40 lbs is a lot of weight. I'd have to leave the beer at home...

Someday I'll build a biger motor if I need to change where and how I hunt. Right now these little motors are ideal.

Mark

10. hoytedow

Saving weight is exactly what I was after. I have a trolling motor but I wanted not to carry a big heavy battery. Also, it is nice sliding over weeds and not fouling prop.

11. muddin redneck

muddin redneck DO IT IN THE MUD!!!

Mark you said in this post that some of these scooter motors come with a 5:1 reduction is that to much gear reduction for optimum speed? i thought a 2:1 reduction was about right. with the 5:1 reduction could you be able to use a larger diameter prop or one with more pitch and get some spped back that? any info would be a big help. still trying to come up with a motor for a 10' bass buggy.

12. muddin redneck

to all who want to build a boat motor and looking for engines try www.brandnewengines.com they seem to have the best prices and largest selection of name brand engines on the web.

13. muddin redneck

Muskrat Mud Motors

Ripped off your the one that built the muskrat mud motor and had the pics on pg. 28 of this thread. i was wondering at what degree angle did you run the shaft? and how long was the shaft?
    thanks

14. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Those engines on www.brandnewengines.com dont look cheap to me and there are no Lifans ..I paid US $150 for a 6.5 HP with electric start and battery !!!

If its the John O Neil motor on page 28 then he has now deceided that the joint is not neccessary and runs the shaft straight off the engine at 15 deg ....shaft will be about 72 in but it depends on the height of your transom ..

15. muddin redneck

well i am going to use a u-joint and was just wondering what angle he did put it at. and on there are no lifan engines they are all name brand engines (briggs, honda, and kohler). if anyone knows they angle ripped off used i would be very grateful for the information

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.