Weed eater engine conversion

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Ward, Jun 2, 2003.

1. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

you can see a lot of bearing photos on a 6.5 if you look on my seperate thread .... Thai longtail with 6.5 lifan honda.....it uses a taper roller bearing ...grease is bad due to the power loss in the tube to turn the shaft in the grease ...two part shaft ..new idea but needs support ...my shaft is 8mm stainless steel roller bearing at each end a bronze bush in the centre ....you are right to go with the bigger motor ..they are very cheap on e bay and the finished job is much more satisfactory in operation

2. muddin redneck

muddin redneck DO IT IN THE MUD!!!

pistnbroke i am including a crude sketch of my motor plan i would like any input you have on my design, after looking at my sketch i noticed that i could not put on a skeg any ideas on that and is it truly nessecary

Attached Files:

3. muddin redneck

also any ideas on where to purchase a prop for larger motor. the places i have looked all the props are in the $200-$300 range and i was hoping for a bit cheaper. do you know if an old outboard motor prop could be retro fitted to work or do you think they are to large

4. wac m trac m

wac m trac m Junior Member

That bottom support will need to have pivots as well.

I would think the exposed shaft would be dangerous since things would get caught in there..especially down in the water.

5. wac m trac m

now that I look again that bottom support wont work. Unless you used piston thing like you see on SUV rear doors. Maybe a small shock might work.

6. muddin redneck

yea my design is still being tweaked

7. Mark Wo

Mark Wo Senior Member

What the heck?

Over 1.5 months and nothign new to report or post. This has to be a record for this thread.

Mark

8. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Well we have found some 2 to 1 gearboxes in New zealand ... direct bolt on the the lifan/honda but the makers are being difficult about supply details and I have had some private e mails from makers asking advice on the chain drive

9. ben2go

ben2go Boat Builder Wanna Be

What about using a small block chevy timing set?Kind of expensive but something close would work.I used to cut straight tooth gears.They are noisy but something like the air cooled VW gears are quite in comparison.

Attached Files:

10. Mark Wo

Mark Wo Senior Member

Keep us updated on the gear reducer

I'd love to see what you have found and hear more about it when you get a chance. A 2:1 reducer would be a great addition to that Lifan/Honda motor.

Mark

11. Gholspawn

Gholspawn New Member

could you send me plans please

12. wac m trac m

Hey John O neal, hows your blue northern tool/lifan moter coming along. What you had looked good..any progress?

I'm thinking I might just buy a Utah Marsh moter instead of building one. They are a great price compared to anything like them..of coarse then I can say I made it..lol

13. ben2go

ben2go Boat Builder Wanna Be

This thread is the plans.

14. John O`Neal

John O`Neal Junior Member

Wac M ; I have gotten sidetracked by my golf game. I have been struggling to break out of the 80s. My best so far has been an 81. Hunting season is fast approaching so it`s time to get back to work.
    A short time back I purchased another Lifan on the net with 30 min run time for $85 . It is a 97cc 2.8 hp . It only weighs 23 lbs. I plan to use it on my layout to replace the 52cc brush cutter conversion I have. I plan to make it a direct drive utilizing a shaft coupler (no U-joint) 1 1/4 " alum. boom tube. 1/2" drive shaft. A very simple design to keep it lightweight.
    [​IMG]

15. Mark Wo

Mark Wo Senior Member

Question on the Lifan

Hey John -

Is this a 4 stroke or two smoker, I can't remember?

If it is a 4 stroke, do you have any concerns with the oiling of the motor and the associated problems that John had over at Rickshaw? I know he tried the bigger honda motor (4 stroke) and had the engine seize due to the oiling not working correctly. I believe the motor could only be off level a small amount or the potential for what happened to Rickshaw would happen over and over again. If you haven't been to the Rickshaw site since July 4, he has written about the Honda and a high end 2 stroke (tanaka I believe) that he tried as well.

Just curious.

I have yet to have the new mud motor in the water yet can you believe it. There is never enough time in a day. Plan is for Friday weather dependant.

Mark

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.