Weed eater engine conversion

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Ward, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Orphanedcowboy

Orphanedcowboy Junior Member

I re-read the forum rules and see nothing stating it is against the rules peddling your wares, you may need to contact a forum moderator first and get clarification to be sure.

Superstitch here is a picture of badges65 lower unit conversion:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=511&d=1054788903

His post is back on page one of this thread, I don't think he did anything other than mount the engine to the lower unit. Your gear reduction is already uilt into the lower unit. You can get your ratio by turning the input shaft one rotation and count the number of output shaft rotations.

As far as Smoothsea200's plans, his gear box is a modified trolling motor lower unit with a 4:1 gear reduction. His claim of 8.8 hp and the ability to push a 24' plus sailboat with ease are a little exaggerated . I will follow up with his plans and address each of his claims accordingly. First thing he states is HP, which cannot be measured accurately in a application with either a centrifugal clutch or a constant velocity transmission.

Once I have completed my term paper on horsepower, which you will get a kick out of how that term was coined, thrust, torque, and application efficiency, I will post them here. He has mislead just a few people, some of which have no clue they have been scammed.

2. dragonjbynight

dragonjbynight Senior Member

Weedeater 12v Generator

I know there are many people on here who use trolling motors. One of my several crazy off the wall ideas, stemming from having to paddle back in when the battery dies is using the weedeater with a car type alternator to provide supply power to the trolling motor. (kinda like a train, diesel generator providing power to the electric motors that move it). What do you think, would it be feasable? I was thinking ridding it of the shaft and placing a pulley or gear at the end, mounting it and either using a short chain or short run v belt between the two.

Would have applications beyond just trolling motors though, any 12 v lighting, sound or otherwise central low voltage system could theoretically be utilized by it.

The only issues i can think of would be whether the draw would be too much or if a pulley system can be mounted to the shaft without too many problems.

3. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

You could just carry another fully charged battery given the weight of the motor and generator.

Another alternative is to get a low cost multi-meter and monitor the battery voltage under normal load conditions. Do a discharge test recording battery voltage against time. Under relatively high load the voltage will droop noticeably so load voltage is a good indication of state of charge. Should start with about 12.4V (or multiples of it). By the time you get down to 11.4V you will be running out of puff. Should not go below 10V. The voltage will have some variation with temperature but not enough to cause great errors from week to week.

A third alternative is to buy a portable generator and take the battery charger with you. These are low cost items and save a lot of effort in mounting a motor to an alternator.

If you must use the alternator then look to direct couple rather than use belts or chain this will avoid radial load on the tiny motor shaft. The alternator is designed for belt drive but the motor isn't. You can get scooter motors that have a chain and this would be slightly better than a belt.

Rick W.

4. crokseti

crokseti New Member

Could there be any risk from electrical shock?

My project is finished except for the old Ryobi not wanting to stay running long enough to test out on the water.
    I obtained another to get carb parts off of but overtime and other life issues interfered so I havnt had time to tinker.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

So long as the regulator is working (integral to the alternator) and power is used to charge the battery (give the alternator a suitable load so the voltage does not "run away" - and put your tongue on pos & neg to see if the voltage is too high (don't want to burn out the drive motor).... he he he

6. Orphanedcowboy

Sorry work has kept me busy, I need to get back to the plans and finish the post. I plan on building one of his motors as well, but it will be far more costly than he claims, the gear set was well over $75 even with our corporate discount, and trolling motors that are burnt up are worth more as parts than a new one, so I just bought a new for $80 to use as my donor for this exercise.

7. superstitch626

superstitch626 Junior Member

Orphanedcowboy you make me laugh man. going as far as to build one of his design to prove him wrong. but what ever post up the build when you get a chance.

8. Orphanedcowboy

It's not really to prove him wrong, it is a well thought out design, I am building it to prove to him it isn't as efficient as he claims, or as cost effective. Since he won't come back and post video of the design pushing a 24' sailboat or any large boat for that matter, I will, and if I am wrong I will admit to it, but I think we all know what the outcome will be.:D

9. smoothseas200

smoothseas200 Junior Member

Weedtrimmer Outboard Plans

Well by reading the threads most of you are unhappy with me, I got off on the wrong foot with OrpanedCowboy when I was new to this site. As far as breaking any promises for sending the plans for the outboard, well I do apologize for that. My area was hit very hard by tornadoes and knocked out everything. Today, May 12, 2008 is the first time online for me since the twisters hit. I really cannot believe some of the harsh words and criticism that have been posted in reference to me.

I am and have always been a man of my word. Thank you to those that posted threads of kindness and understanding. I now have a new more reliable internet service, and will be more than happy to send the plans to you. My New Email Address is : allaerotech@centurytel.net

In closing, my family and I lost everything we had. We were very lucky not to have been home at the time or it could have been much worse. I wish the very best to everyone, and I am only here to help you if I can. Please write, I'd like to hear from you.

Sincerely,

Roy :)

10. Orphanedcowboy

Let me be the first to say I am glad you and your family are okay, material items can be replaced, family cannot. If there is anything you need, just ask.

11. smoothseas200

* Please Note * The outboard will cost more in todays dollars. As indicated on the plans it was initially designed and tested in 2004, so this cost was significantly less. Please pardon my mistake at the time of posting. Also to clarify, the claim of 8.8hp at the prop was calculated in the torque value. The speed won't make your eyes water, but it has broken the transom on some aluminum boats. It will push your large sailboat with ease and at a safe speed. -Roy

12. superstitch626

superstitch626 Junior Member

Roy,
    i would also like to say that deep down i am sorry for your losses. on a better note you have one fan :)
    V/R
    your buddy in Iraq
    Evan

13. smoothseas200

Thank you very much OrphanedCowboy for your very kind words, that alone is enough for me. Do you have my plans ? If not, kindly forward your email address and I'll send them right out to you. Once again, thank you very much for your kindness and generosity. I did try to post the plans but the meter indicates I exceeded the limit by 2.57mb so therefore it would not post. Man, I know we are all brothers in this thing and it's up to us to make the best of it. I apologize if I have ever offended you in any way. Let's start it all over shall we ?
    Very Sincerely,
    Roy D. Moss

14. smoothseas200

Evan,
    Such kind words coming from you, a man in Iraq directly in the danger zone fighting for our country. You face danger 24 hours a day. I just don't know what to say other than God Bless You my friend, stay low and stay safe until we can get you home. And above all, if you ever need anything even just to write buddy you just let me know. If God doesn't take me out of here, I'll always be here for you. Take care my friend.
    Very Sincerely,
    Roy

15. smoothseas200

PDF file to build the little outboard

I'll try to post my plans again. They are in PDF format so you should be able to print them easily. Please note the date on the plans. (2004)
    View attachment Lil' Indian_NEW.pdf

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.