sound system suggestions?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by webn237, Jul 10, 2014.

1. webn237

webn237 Junior Member

So I am big into my sound systems. I have a 1994 sea ray rayder So I was wondering if anyone has ever put subwoofers on the engine hatch? Or should I just put one up front in front of the drivers seat? Or is there any other ideas where I should put one? Or two?

Attached Files:

2. UNCIVILIZED

UNCIVILIZED DIY Junkyard MadScientist

You can build speaker boxes for them, & that way you can try them out in different locations. Either bolting them into various test spots, fabricating brackets, or even Velcro.

On a lot of the racing yachts I've been on, we'd just have long wires on the speaker boxes, & connect them to various plugs - either waterproof ones on deck, or through a port hole or down the companionway to a socket. Thus they were out of the weather when such was necessitated, & or we were away from the boat. Rendering them a bit harder for sticky fingers to get a hold of.
    Ditto for keeping them out of harms way, when there was serious maneuvering to be done... like; heavy air, sail changes, mark roundings, etc.

Running them this way also lets you put music where you want it when say folks below decks want to sleep, but those topsides want some music too. Or you want to party at the dock, down below/without pissing off the neighbors, seduce someone... or provide "cover noise" there for.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Subwoofers on any hatch will make it rattle. If you like the Ghetto rattle sound, it will be OK. Otherwise, you need something heavy and well attached. Very low frequencies are not very directional, so location is not as critical as with the other speakers.

4. webn237

webn237 Junior Member

So with a 14 ft sea rayder any suggestions on where to put it? There isn't many places for it to be installed lol. Otherwise I can get 1 to fit in front of where the driver sits as shown in the picture above

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is that the console between the front seats?

6. webn237

webn237 Junior Member

Yeah. There's the 3 seats in the back the steering counsel then the front seat

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is a lot of empty space, so it should work OK. Woofers are usually pretty deep. If the stereo is going to be mounted in that slot, it may be a problem with CDs jumping. However, I suppose you have music in your phone or Ipod.

8. webn237

webn237 Junior Member

Yeah I plan on using a ipod so I won't have to worry about the skipping discs. I'm making a custom sun pad like cushion for the back and thought it would be bad *** looking to have the subwoofers built into it. But I'm guessing the hatch isn't going to hold 2 10" subs that well

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

10. webn237

webn237 Junior Member

I already got a Rockford Fosgate marine 10" sub

11. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

You can put it literally anywhere in the boat. It won't matter for a sub. You could put it in your neighbor's boat, for that matter. Try it. Stick it in the bilge or engine compartment and see. Everything not epoxied down is going to rattle. I had 10" Fosgates in my '89 Civic hatchback. The car's trailer hitch bolted up to the speaker boxes, and they also had shock tower cross-members attached to them. Stiffened the back of the car up wonderfully. The only consideration in terms of one or two is whether or not you have a dedicated sub out from your amp, or are running crossovers. One should surfice.

My Rv has a subwoofer. I owned the thing for two years before I figured out where they had hidden it. One day a fitting on my hot water heater blew, and when I removed the panels to get at it, there was the sub crammed in between the water heater and the furnace.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.