Weather helm on half tonner

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by nemo, Oct 12, 2009.

1. paulclan2

paulclan2 New Member

deeper rudder

Well done Citrus 76,

I wish I'd had this info when I had Lady Shamrock, my Ron Holland Half-Tonner.
    I can see how 30mm on the leading edge could take some of the hardness of weather helm away in counterbalancing forces, and I expect the additional 150mm made vortex separation delay a bit longer.
    I was intrigued by the OP's information that rake influences the side which sucks first.Very interesting information.
    Rebuilding a new rudder from scratch resulted in great accuracy downwind, compared to the old (which fell off), as the tangs were one by one separating.
    There is a lot of life left in these boats,but the limitations downwind will probably frustrate those keen to excel.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.