Weather Deck material

Discussion in 'Materials' started by ComputerJoe, Aug 19, 2006.

1. ComputerJoe

ComputerJoe New Member

I have an old Marinette whose weather deck was shot and would like to use a composite wood decking material to replace it with. I am looking at using the boat for chartering here in Michigan and was told that the DNR would not approve that material because it hasn't been used in a "marine enviroment" and therefore it is not an "accepted good practice". Do any of you know a manufacturer that has used composite wood decking? I need something to argue my case for a material I believe to be superior to marine plyboard as a exposed decking material.

PS: I have already found it not to be slipery when wet and otherwise suitable.

2. Toot

Toot Senior Member

I did a little bit of digging. Here's the reg you are up against.

This is a bit of a tough nut to crack. In order to show that it's "good marine practice" it needs to be used on boats. But it can't be used on boats unless it's... yeah.

However, "good marine practice" is not necessarily confined to such materials used on commercial boats. Otherwise, you'd NEVER get new technologies integrated into the field (I've been in aviation for much of my adult life and have seen how it works there).

There's a Swedish company named "flexiteek", for one. They make a composite deck of some type. I'm sure there are others. First, I would contact them and any others you can find and ask for materials specifications for their product. You want to know general engineering data, plus fire resistance, corrosion resistance, etc. Any tests they've performed.

Remember, these companies are struggling for marketshare against traditional methods. They want to makes sales and for that they need market acceptance. They'll give you whatever data they have. And, of course, they will also give you a list of large impressive companies (if any) who use their products. Boat manufacturers will see little value in helping you... but to the makers of the products, you are exactly the kind of person they are trying to find so that their product can gain wider acceptance.

Now, that's great for all the marine product manufacturers, but I sense you want to use standard decking. Now, for this step, you'll have to contact the decking companies and get the engineering data from them. Now, I don't know how boating works, but if I were to call up such a mfr and say I wanted to use their product in an airplane, they'd hang up on me- they don't want the liability. If that's the case, you may have to lie a little bit about the reasons for which you want the data.... but they should provide it.

Then, compare it to the data provided by the marine-specific manufacturers. It could be there's a distinct difference between these two applications that actually makes a difference. It could be they are remarkably similar. If they are similar, then you can point to other companies' similar products that are in marine use and argue that it's merely a brand name of essentially the same thing.

3. Toot

Toot Senior Member

I also wanted to add...

The reg states that it must be an acceptable practice and standards.

Find the USCG(?) standard for decking material. If your proposed deck meets those standards, then that's half the battle. If it doesn't then you are dead in the water... so to speak.

However, if the U.S. standard isn't to your liking, don't confine yourself to U.S. standards. The regulation is not specific. If it's ok in 20 other countries, then you may have a good shot at making it work for you too.

4. ComputerJoe

ComputerJoe New Member

did you find the law on line?

Thanks Toot,

Very helpful. You nailed the exact wording I had been quoted. I tried to find that regulatio on the dnr.mi.gov web site but failed. Could you pass on where you found it at?

Now to see if I have any better luck with USCG specs.

5. Toot

Toot Senior Member

start here...

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141---,00.html

click on "Administrative Rules" and navigate to here...

http://www.state.mi.us/orr/emi/admincode.asp?AdminCode=Single&Admin_Num=28103101&Dpt=NR&RngHigh=

Oh and I almost forgot the simplest thing of all... when you contact mfrs of marine-specific products, ask what other states or countries have approved their product, or what other states or countries do they sell large quantities of their products to?

This will tell you immediately where to start looking to prove that this is "good maritime practice".

6. ComputerJoe

ComputerJoe New Member

Making progress

With Toot's reference to the michigan law which states that the inspectors shall be made using standards of 46 C.F.R. SS1.01 - 552.5, The American Boat and Yacht Council, Boating Industry Association. I found the first organization but their materials are only available to members ($250).

Where do I find out where to find 46 C.F.R.?

THANKS AGAIN

7. Toot

Toot Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.