Broken Skeg

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by leschj94, Sep 13, 2006.

1. leschj94

leschj94 New Member

I boat a 93 bayline capri 4.3L I/O with the Alpa 1 drive and it the skeg is broken pretty bad. I was wondering if this will have any effect of performance and is something that i need to repair fairly soon

2. Titanic

Titanic Junior Member

On high performance boats (70 M.P.H. +) you could develope stability and handling problems. With the boat you are describing you will not notice any performance problems. The skeg is there to protect your prop and lower unit.
    Evidently it did its job in your case. The problem now is that you are vulnerable to damage to these components. Most prop repair shops also repair skeg damage. Most shops will want you to remove the lower unit, to bring it in for welding. I was told they do this so they don't run the risk of damaging any electrical components while welding.

3. Smoothride

Smoothride Dog Owner

I had a broken skeg once, it took 6 weeks to heal. :D

Beers,
    SR