volunteer boat building work in negril,jamaica.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by china, Sep 24, 2006.

1. china

china Junior Member

hi, me and a friend will be traveling out to jamaica from london in a few weeks. we are going to complete a boat building project on a hotel resort. have a look it's a pretty beautifull place. http://virtourist.com/america/jamaica/negril/index.html

we may need a hand with the build so if anybody would like to have a few weeks in negril,jamaica with free accomodation,free food and drink and possably a bit of pocket money then please get in touch either through this thread or a pm.

we could get a rota going so someone comes out to jamaica once some one has came back and posted onto this thread.

negril is a beautifull place and we might need a hand so if you want a free vacation then please do get i touch and leave a message.

thanks for your time.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  2. china

china Junior Member

the proposed build will be a pontoon houseboat.

27"x14". it is to be made out of ply and wood construction and the pontoons shall be fibreglassed framed construction.

just a basic floating shack really. the finish need'nt be to fussy as we are going for the grass roots look.

maybe a couple of row boats adaptable for ourboards too.
    we would like to do electric boats too but that will have to wait untill next year.

if you would like to keep you hand in with a boat build project but cannot do your own for what ever reasons then you may be able to help us with ours.

you would be staying in free accomodation on the hotel resort, the kings plaza. you would recieve free meals daily,( you wont go hungry.) and we will supply all prefered drink, alchohol or otherwise.

this is a long term project so we will need more than one volunteer to keep the poisistion filled, or possibly a long term volunteer. what ever you prefer.
    obviously some experience is valued nesacerry but if there is two voluteer friends only one need be experienced.

you may pm me or leave a thread message to let me know of your experience and skills in what ever area of boat work you can do.

i hope this will be of service to you and it could help people see a bit more of the world and help with skill sharing projects in other places.

any question then please contribute to this thread and i will anwser all question raised.

thank you.

3. china

china Junior Member

we will be there sorting things out from the 16th october. any change and i will let you know. perhaps a weeks boat share for offer each year for volunteers.

all the best.
    china.

4. rob broekman

rob broekman proffesional sailor

hello china

expierenced sailor(official first mate) and boatbuilder rob broekman currently living in fiskars finland (also see www.fiskarsvillage.net) just finished a catamaran project. is interested to come in touch with you regarding your boatproject and willing to join your project please reply by email to robertobroekman@hotmail.com or phone +358 404169963 hope to hear from you soon.

5. china

china Junior Member

thanks for all the pm's and posts.
    we are still accepting volunteers as this is a long term project,(over two years.) so still keep posting pm's and post. i will reply to all pm's sent over the next couple of days.

thankyou and keep em coming. thanks.

6. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

could you send photos of the project as it continues?

7. china

china Junior Member

yeah sure. good idea! will have to get a digital camera though, i have on but need a data cord and some one to show me how to download it into the computer.

thats what i need realy, a computer geek interested in boats or a boat enthusiast interested in media technology. i might be able to find somone in jamaica.

thanks for the idea, i will post the photos on this thread.

cheers.
    china.

8. china

china Junior Member

thanks for those who have replyed. i will be making those phone calls soon. i have to work out the time difference so i dont call you at three in the morning. thanks for the interest and questions.

cheers.
    china.

9. gregmercer

gregmercer New Member

China - could you please send me an email at mercegr@auburn.edu

I am interested and experienced, for some reason it will not let me send you a PM. Thanks

Greg

10. china

china Junior Member

yes sure gregmercer. we have put back the arrival date to 29th november and would be starting the build around the 14th december depending on availablitity of materials.

maryland, is that in texas?

by the way,my email address is chamoix403@hotmail.com should anyone wish to email me.

thanks a lot.

11. china

china Junior Member

well its raining here all over in england, and it's getting colder.
    looking forward to jamaica and being somwere warm.

here is the link to the houseboat we are going to build. starting around december time or after christmas. http://boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=172

it doesnt look too dificult, a basic pontoon boat with a shack on top. remember we are keeping it pretty simple, it probally wont have a bath and only a simple solar shower and definatly no upper deck flying bridge, but we will be building some rowing boats to build too.

here is the link for those.

http://boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=187

so if you think you would like to give us a hand and have a free vacation then please get in touch.

thanks.

p.s

has everyone recieved their messages so far.

i will be making that phone call to finland today.

12. china

china Junior Member

hello, i've been away for a while working. just checking in to see if there is anymore interest. this is just to let you know that this project is defenatly still on and we should be starting on the 1st december but if anyone would like to start after the new year then that is alright too, we will be building untill late march and possible later.

thanks a lot.

china.:cool:

13. china

china Junior Member

yeah it's still on. just a thought, could a moderator posible move this to somewhere more appropprate for me , like the building section or projects section.

thanks ever much.
    cheers.
    china.

14. china

china Junior Member

still on. get in touch for next year if you like.

15. china

china Junior Member

delayed again, should be there for 4th january. will post once arrived.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.