Shaft design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Danielsan, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Danielsan

Danielsan Amateur designer-builder?

Hi there,

As some know already, I am designing my boat let's say from scratch.
    Kind of planning daycruiser, Bayliner-Sunseeker kind of thing. 7.42m LOA 2.84Beam, Draft +/-0.4m, displacement 3.000kg.

I would like to reduce costs to a maximum and therefor would like to use an ordinairy true hull shaft with an ordinary rudder control.

I know this is not the most performant solution but I will be much cheaper than any other drive system. "For a firstone"

Can I make a perfectly sealed and operational schaft using the ordinary SKF components

V-ring - 2x O-ring - 2x Lipseal - 2x Deep Ball Bearing at the end trhust
    bearing.

Bearings and shaft made of 316 stainless steel, schaft housing made of aluminium or stainles steel.

Somebody any idea? any hints are welcome ;)

Thx in advance,

Daniel Peeters

added info no more ordinary shaft?

http://zf-marine.com/Gears/index.cfm?CFID=3001550&CFTOKEN=41356562&CFApp=1&id=1&CFIDC=NRU2

http://zf-marine.com/SurfaceDrives/Trimax/Images/Fig14a_450.gif

this might be what I would like to make, somehow a bit different of my first idea, but I am not sure about installing a surface drive system as I don't know exactly how my boat will lay down in the water

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

I remember that VETUS were supplying prop-shafts and tubes some time ago...

http://www.vetus.com/

in fact, they still are, or some manuals at least. On the site go to 'Manuals' -> 'Propeller Shaft'

The site is in several different languages.

Hope this helps

Tim B.

3. Danielsan

Thx Tim,

I know about them, but I don't like the idea " water lubrified bearings" ?

I was also thinking that what they offer for about 600,00EUR, I could make the same thing for much less if my sealing works properly.

greetings

4. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

I'm an old fashioned one: water lubricated bearings work perfectly on millions of shafts over the world. They are cheap, simple and sturdy.

With lip joints, bearings and so on you'll go into troubles with electrolitic corrosion, desintegration of joints by the sea water and other headaches. The ordinary SKF components are promised to a fast death. So you'll have to shift to special items.Very expensive stuff.
    Look at the price of outboard transmissions made in very high series with the same technology as you want to use; expensive and as I see here short lived.

Look at the common transmission of a fishing boat; they last thousands of hours of abuse. Why to make complicated while simpler works well?

5. Danielsan

Guess you might be right.

My point is to get most of the things done by myself and a local steelshop.
    In that way there would be no problem to do the maintainance by myself using standard (cheap) SKF components. I see myself as an recreational builder, later on I hope user. But I think my boat won't turn for more than 300 hrs/year.

Are there any sketches that show good, working principles of shaft or surface drive apps?

Greetz,

Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.