How do I compare Trans-cavitating Vs Super-cavitating props?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by RipSlider, Jul 18, 2008.

1. RipSlider

RipSlider Junior Member

Hello all.

I've been reading a number of papers discussing the various "optimal" designs for prop's for a planing hull.

I put "Optimal" in speech marks, as there seems to be a number of different opinions, which kind of defeats the "optimal" status.

The main argument seems to come down to whether a trans-cavitating prop is more or less efficient that an super-cavitating prop (leaving out ventilated props for now as it just add's more complication ).

What I've not been able to find is a straight up list of pro's and con's for each of the two types, or perhaps a discussion of the conditions under which one is superior to the other. Many of the papers use the same arguments to support both designs so I've got myself very confused.

If anyone could provide some links, or references, or even jot some notes down themselves, it would be much appreciated.

many thanks indeed

Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.