Wave Piercing Bows

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by CatBuilder, Apr 15, 2012.

1. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

[​IMG]

X bow?

Attached Files:

2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Catsketcher

As always I 100% agree with your comments

Richard Woods

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I think would make a great wave piercer, and if you put it upside down a great sailboat hull.

Attached Files:

4. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Here is pic of altered bow on model of MO improved I am lofting. Doug noted on another thread it is similar to Arup bow...which it is, obviously. I ended up with shape by accident, really.

Seemed best of two worlds from function point of view. I do not plan on collisions in harbors, however. (Catketcher)

The main differences will be rotating mast, open center main hull, bailer, 12 feet wide hinged akas, foam outrigger hull-maybe with rudder, short wings as noted in pic just forward of dagger board case that I Photoshopped in, trampoline instead of boards.

Also, at Catsketcher, I was under the impression that Rod MacAlpine-Downey began the "drag" race regarding cat hulls, not the Tornado design. Interesting. Not disagreeing, just learning. Comparisons below. Shark 62 vs Tornado in 67...need to give Rod his due. Both beautiful boats...

Sabsfeigler, thanks for great bird pics...outstanding.

Attached Files:

5. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Whoever said adding a large reverse bow on would look like it is an add on because it won't fair in was right.

I can only get a pronounced reverse bow by adding on the usual foam bumper bow (about a foot) and cutting the deck back to get the strong angle. (hulls are already built)

So, I am left with a plumb bow or a tiny reverse bow angle on a mostly plumb bow.

6. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Seems to make sense to me. I thought I solved that with above. The narrow proa hull seems to fit with either configuration...

7. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

So tired of seeing this sort of water/wave conditions as representing some of proof of bow performance in an ocean going vessel. :eek: Thats lake conditions.

How about something like this, which is still moderate sea condition (sorry for power vessel reference, but its the only one I ran across real quick).

I want to see how a bow is going to handle these conditions,....and how wet it is going to be for the crew.

Attached Files:

8. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Then I want to see how it is going to perform when I'm surfing down a big sea faster than I really wanted to go because I didn't reef soon enough,....and now I have to pick and chose when I can turn back upwind to either reduce that mainsail thats pinned against the mast and spreaders, and/or deploy a sea anchor from those reverse bows. :eek:

9. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

You damn anarchist! The magazines say it is a revolutionary hullshape, so it has to be so! Stop thinking and get back in line! ;)

10. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Best of many worlds? Outrigger/sailing canoe/catamaran sailboat, sea or fresh, open or sheltered, simple but fast?

Model resting on its strongback before final lofting and build.

Attached Files:

11. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Ok, this one is simple... you should have stayed home because you don't belong on the water until you understand how to safely manage the sail plan of a performance catamaran. (not you personally, but the person in the example)

Attaching a sea anchor is a snap. Peep the new Morelli and Melvin 62 built in maine recently. Huge, built in holes right through the bow to make your attachment. It has reverse bows too.

12. Rafael Francke

Rafael Francke www.cat2fold.com

Hello Bob

I was reading about your Malibu Outrigger, I have a friend [out of the country for few weeks] who has an older Malibu Outrigger and is going to build a newer/lighter one sometime soon, if you need some information about it I am sure he will be glad to share information with you.
    If you are interested in contact let me know please,

13. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Oh my. I would love to exchange idea with him and talk to him about his boat and changes. My email is bobbillhj@gmail.com. It is such a cool boat, as attested to by his wanting to build another but improved version. Much thanks.

14. groper

groper Senior Member

The whole point of the alibi 54 video was to show its elegant lines and beautiful aesthetic appeal... would have to be my favourite sailing cat ive seen thus far, and when i get to building mine, it will have similar styling because thats exactly the way i like it. Its perfection on the water IMHO...

All this discussion on other reasons why a bow should be a different shape is irrelevant! Its a styling thing as its shape is not as extreme as an AC45, its not a wave peicer, it still has heaps of freeboard and reserve bouyancy, the boat sails fine... the only thing worth talking about is the aesthetic styling... a point nearly everyone else missed in this entire thread... i could go ahead and calculate the bouyancy of both types of foam bows CB was considering and show you a 3D cad model of what each would look like, but i cant be bothered as i know the difference is negligible...

15. rattus

rattus Señor Member

CS, do you have a link to the Irens interview? That would be pretty cool to read.

Thanks,
    Mike

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.