wave piercing and deep v

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gtflash, Dec 31, 2009.

1. gtflash

gtflash Senior Member

Im very interested to know if anyone has experience of hull designs similar to this boat.

I am aware of mary slim and earthrace but I believe they both use a round keel aft for lower planing speed and decreased pitching. This design is deep v aft with one hell of a nose on her.

http://www.rib-kali.com/kali.php

Attached Files:

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Looks like wet.. Volvo ocean race simulator :p

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi GT,

I have seen a similar hull that was built in Zim in the old days. It was designed to work on the lakes in africa where waves is a problem when the wind picks up. It used outboards and didn't have those inflatable like gunnels.

I would have thought the stern should be wider as well and that piercing part looks a bit overdone. Whoever designed this must have been in a chop and got his teeth rattled out.

Off late I avoid these high speed things. If you hit anything in the water you are in the shi.... I mean water.

4. laurencet

laurencet Junior Member

Does anyone know if it managed to break the record?

5. gtflash

gtflash Senior Member

From what i understand NOT as yet. They had a helicopter engine but now its powered by an outboard.

6. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

So, their web-site is already out of date regarding the engine.

Good to know.

-Tom

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I ordered a book from the UK about 11 years ago all about the Saunders Roe company (had some hovercraft content). Many images of long slender craft getting the most they could out of steam and early oil power. They could not just overpower their problems with more HP, and the book of what you could and could not do was not yet written.

One source I just found:
    http://www.hovercraft-museum.org/references.html
    [​IMG]

8. Red Tide

Red Tide Junior Member

Man I love the look of this boat. Would be very curious to see how she performs...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.