ISO 12217 Offset-load test

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by Newhill, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Newhill

Newhill Junior Member

Hello!
    I have a question about the offset-load test.
    The situation is this... An open boat with a selfbailing deck.
    Is it allowed to have eventual valves closed for the deck drain during the test?
    I can't find any advise in the ISO document.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Not exactly what you're asking, but it seems to me that one self draining deck should not have drain openings with valves.
    In any case, consider that any test must take into account the worst-case scenario.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I understand it to say that the scuppers have to be in the normal operating position or mode. If the boat swamps through the scuppers, then they will limit the inclination test.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

If drains meet certain conditions, position, diameter, need not influence the inclining test, they are not considered as possible inundation openings.
    The ISO standard provides very specific instructions on what they are and what they are not flood openings. These are the only ones that can affect the compliance or noncompliance of the stability requirements. But we must read and understand ISO.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.