waterspeed record

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dan Ellison, Dec 23, 2006.

1. RatliffFranklin

RatliffFranklin Previous Member

2. RatliffFranklin

3. RatliffFranklin

Les Staudacher

( www.lesliefield.com , click on "other history" then on "straightaway record." )

In the articles about Les Staudacher on Leslie Field's site, it can be seen how when Staudacher had the opportunity to build a second WSR jet boat he went away from the pickle fork airtrapping hull of Tempo Alcoa to an outrigger design much like Bluebird for Miss Stars & Stripes. Unlike a modern pickle fork drag boat, when Staudacher was testing Tempo Alcoa it would sometimes take him a mile to break suction and get on plane, so with Miss Stars & Stripes he was looking to build a hull that would break loose much easier.

Although it was a helluva way for a photographer to get the shots, the photos of Miss Stars & Stripes upsidedown on the shore give some great views of the boat's underside details

4. Hoffman

Hoffman New Member

Dan, as an avid dragboat racing fan and after seeing two of your hulls at the IHBA World Finals this year, I was interested to find out more information about the hull and you. The only information I have come across is this forum and the B&R Racing site, which I have been following for a few years. Dan, you should create a website of your own so your vision can be made more public and possible gain some sponsor money to progress your vision. I highly respect what you are doing and wish you the best of luck. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

I would like to see, be kept up to date and a continued list of the following:

1- Pictures of Arfons’ Deaver hull.
    2- Dates and locations of attempts to set a new water speed record.
    3- A continued list of people / organizations and websites that are pursuing the water speed record.

• Dan Ellison

5. RatliffFranklin

Craig Arfons

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15459

I posted some of my photos of Craig Arfons' boat in the above thread.

6. Dan Ellison

Dan Ellison Junior Member

Hoffman, thank you for your interest. I have not made it official about the waterspeed record. I am hoping to generate enough interest in the hull that an attempt would be possible. Just getting the 3 drag boats on the water has been a struggle. The boats are a small part-time project. I'm also waiting for the group out of california(unamed still) to make there run. The only thing holding me back is a lack of funding. Hope this will change this year. As far as the web site, coming in the near future.

7. RatliffFranklin

Powerplants

www.laffin-gas.com

Dan - The hybrid rocket technology being developed by this drag racing team in England might be the most affordable powerplant having all the characteristics needed for a WSR boat.

8. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

That's the same type of powerplant that Burt Rutan used on Space Ship One to win the X-prize.

9. RatliffFranklin

Both systems use nitrous oxide as the oxidizer.

The dragster's system is in some ways a little more sophisticated than Rutan's because it has a degree of throttleability while Rutan's system was simply on/off.

10. rebar

rebar Junior Member

Congrats on your world record Dan. Heres Dans website.

http://www.ellisonraceconcepts.com/

I have one of his RC models and its neat to know the same person who built mine , built many record holding boats RC and full size. Heres a link to info on his models. Never know.. One day his models maybe collectable.

http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=16972

Iv always dreamt about building a full size rigger and was wondering if you could answer a few questions about your latest outrigger.

Is the AOA on the full scale sponsons close to the models at around 3 degrees?

Your full size uses rear sponsons but your models don't. Can you briefly explain why.

And where is the CG on your full size rigger? Does it follow the 15% after plane guide lines we use for models?

Again.. Congrats Dan. Your living the dream! Good luck!

11. Dan Ellison

An update on ellison race concepts, Working on the 7th outrigger hull, 6 are top fuel and the 7th is an alchohal version. Current IHBA et record holder@ 4.58 sec and current SDBA et record holder @ 4.81 sec. 07 and 08 SDBA top fuel champion, IHBA national event winners @ augusta, red bluff, and sandiego bayfair. The wsr hull is in the works as most of the running gear has been sponsored or promised, I am looking for a T-55 as this will be a propeller driven craft. Both records will be attempted, propeller and outright. Thanks all for the interest, Dan

12. jbaptistk

jbaptistk New Member

13. Dan Ellison

//////

14. afrhydro

afrhydro Senior Member

wtg dan i just saw this a skimmed threw it a bit
    do you know about Al copland Jr,s new boat
    i spoke with Ken Warby on the putor the other day
    they should get the proppeller record but Kens record will never be beat with a proppller driven boat
    IMO and Kens IMO
    but heres the link and i have pictures of the new boat on my shop putor from its unveiling in keywest
    http://www.copelandsphenomenon.com/
    i would love to see your new boat heres my email
    swsteffe316@msn.com

did you make fire lake this year my other hydro i built ran lake racer # 002 he had engine trouble but it ran first pic is of the new paint as it raced in the finals

Attached Files:

15. Dan Ellison

I saw that a while back. The current speed record for the quarter mile is 260 and change with several passes @264 and 265mph . my hull has ran 262 and 270. I have designed my outrigger to run over 300 with props. It can be done with a small amount of funding. I need a sponsor and I can build the rest and it's on the water for the propeller and outright record. I bet I could do it for less than what there paintjob cost!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.