Waterlogged core

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Moody Blue, May 31, 2004.

1. Moody Blue

Moody Blue New Member

Please offer any advise you might have. I have a foam cored fiberglass boat (whaler style) that seem to be waterlogged. I want to cut out the floor in panels, remove the old foam, pour in two part expanding foam and them glass the floor panels back in place. Am I crazy or is this a practicle approach ? ANY help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Rod

2. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

that is the only way really, Tear out and replace... I repaired a flat bottom boat and didnt put any foam back. made sure the water could drain out tho

3. Guest

I had a tri hull Four Winns 17' that was water logged. i carefully removed the decking (as to not damage the sides of the hull. Then I used a spatula to re4move the water logged foam core. Seventeen lawn leaf bags later I had a clean hull. After I had cut new pieces of decking and fittted them into the hull.
    I removed them and coated them with Resin and Hardner with around 50% styrene added. I used a paint roller to coat the top, bottom and edges of the plywood so that it would be sealed from moisture. Then I screwed the pieces to the stringers. I raised the trailer jack untill the back of the boat was almost on the ground. drilled a hole every 18" from front to back between the stringers. strarting at the rear I poured the foam mixture so as to continue the filling process .and not over fill the foam and cause a blowout.
    trim the foam that squirts out of the filling holes so that it is smooth and re-glass the bottom of the boat. there you have it add carpet and gas and go.

Hope this helps

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.