Cheap steel barge builder around the world ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by philgib, Nov 4, 2008.

1. philgib

philgib Junior Member

Does anyone know who are the known cheap steel barge builders in the planet ? Philippines ? China ? Canada ?

2. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Fred Whals here in Oregon USA is pretty cheap.

K9

3. philgib

philgib Junior Member

Thank you. I cannot find them on Google. Would you have any Internet site in mind ? Is the family name spelled correctly ?

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Barges are very simple and can be succesfully built by any decent steel fabricator. They will also take on the work happily since its within just about every fabricators experience, although they may need to see the drawings first to be convinced that it is not a boat.:)

cheers

5. SolomonGrundy

SolomonGrundy I'm not crazy...

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

China makes millions of the little suckers, a 150 footer would be about US$150K.

7. philgib

philgib Junior Member

Well I only need 18 feet ones :) There seems to be a consensus with Queenstown, Australia.

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Queenstown, Australia.
    are you sure you have the right address??

There are only two of those in the whole of australia, and neither are particularly "barge" experts - esp[ecially the little old Zinc mining town on the rugged tasmanian west coast

9. Thai

Thai Junior Member

Why don't you think about your barge to be build in Viet Nam ?

10. philgib

philgib Junior Member

I would consider Vietnam is the job is well done. Any Internet site you would recommend please ?

Thank you

11. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

as the barges are so small, local production is the most economic answer mate, freight costs would blow out any savings from foreign manufacturing.
    As Mike says above, forget the boat business, just call them boxes that float and they will be cheaper.

12. philgib

philgib Junior Member

OK I will buy www.floatingbox.com :) No offense, I actually completely agree with you.

Still, there are still some notions of solidity, stability and waterproof welding quality I have to figure out, even for a floating box, that's why I am here in this forum

Sending a 20' container over the atlantic from Mexico to Europe costs 1000 dollars, this is not so much actually.

13. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

plus Customs clearence and brokers handling fees, for an 18 foot boat with world parity steel pricing i still fail to see how you can save much mate

14. colinstone

colinstone Junior Member

Attached Files:

• Barge.JPG
      Barge.JPG
      File size:
      641.5 KB
      Views:

15. rickthorn

rickthorn Junior Member

Hello philgib....everyone,
    I am not so much looking for a builder for barges, but I am looking for a REASONABLE, competent design person. My direct interest is inquiry for plans as follows...
    SEAGOING POWERED barge design, MUST HAVE 30'/9.14 M BEAM (important for outdoor gathering area/recreation), minimum 80'/24.38 M LENGTH, it will be a full time & permanent liveaboard for family & friends.
    Power considerations are....TWO BIO DIESEL ENGINES, BOTH WITH TWO ELECTRIC MOTOR BACKUP, possibly small masts and sails. MAIN ELECTRICITY supplied by solar and wind generation, BIO DIESEL GENERATOR backup.
    EXTENDED RANGE FUEL TANKS AND WATER TANKS A MUST
    Main concern and overall, for safety of all involved is as follows...
    MAIN DESIGN MUST BE AS CLOSE TO ABSOLUTELY UNSINKABLE AS POSSIBLE, IN ANY STORMS, SELF-RIGHTING DESIGN.
    Even so, barge would be piloted to reasonably safe and affordable country to live on, and other than probably one-time voyage, will probably not be at sea afterwards.
    I have looked at a few barge designs and the small "canal" type or "river" barges would not work and would be dangerous to attempt what I wish...I have also looked at some large barges which would be beyond cost allowances to purchase and then convert, even to purchase used.
    I would appreciate constructive ideas, no flaming, etc please. If you are not a designer, you are welcome to comment also, and those who know of competent, AND REASONABLE barge designer...(both to talk to and concerning cost, etc) your comments and advice will be appreciated.
    Costs of registration, licensing (if applicable), insurance, matter may be quite prohibitive also.

Thanks,
    rick

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008