First Time Buyer. What type of drive?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Holeshot, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Holeshot

Holeshot Guest

I am looking at two different drives in two different boats. We will be using the boat for cruising, lounging, skiing, tubing, and a new found hobby wake boarding. I am looking for opinions on each. So any input either way would be much aprecited.

First one is the 4.3 ltr 19o hp mercury I/O. drive. This is the one I am most familiar with since I have many hours driving one. It has enough power to ski/wakeboard, and go for a nice cruise.

Second one is the V6 2.5 ltr 240 hp EFI Jet Drive. I test drove it and enjoyed the acceleration, cornering etc.

Now the two boats that these come in are very close to length and weight. both aprox 19ft. If you are interested the I/O is in a 2003 glastron SX 195. The Jet drive is in a 2002 Sea Doo challenger.

My concerns with the Jet Drive boat is that it wont be as good for wakeboarding (thats what some people have told me, and some not) and my all around lack of knowledge with this drive.

Should I shy away from the Jet Drive or go for it?

Thank You for you time!

Jamie

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

This is true, as I/Os are trimmable and jets are not. Either one is good for any of the other purposes. The stern drive will be a lot more maneuverable than the jet, so it will be easier to handle around the docks, but jets are o.k., they just take getting used to. It all boils down to your personal preference.

3. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

You do not say where you are based, but if fuel cost is an issue, I would go for a propellor driven boat. Jet powered sportsboats drink fuel!

Also as a keen skier, the wash of a jet is pretty unpleasant to ski on and as has been said the trimming of the sterndrive allows you to build a good wake height for wake boarding. Hugh Mattos

4. 31silverton

31silverton New Member

If you are wanting something that will provide the best wake and pull - I suggest a direct drive (inboard) like Correct Craft, Master Craft, etc. with a center pole and open bow. Extremely superior over the o/b and Jets. Gives a very stable ride, clean tall wake and extremely quick pull for easier starts, the best "holeshot" out there.
    I would stay away from jets - too much wash to enjoy being behind the boat for very long. Just a thought.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.